fr125s

pwnt by pat
10+ year member

Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!
Pa
So I got a new car and the horns don't fit. The only way they can fit is if I do some major dash modifications which I'm not going to. The motor sits too far into the kicks to mount the 6.5s. So, eventually I'm going to sell the horns.

I want to keep my beals 'cause I love 'em. I want to put them into kicks and lose the 6.5's too. I thought about looking for a 3" midrange and tweet combo to run active, or find a decent fullrange. No matter what way I run, I'll be running active.

From what I'm told, the Beals really sing upto about 450. Randomly the other day, I stumbled across a link to a fullrange 4.5" driver that will cover me from 450-20k with a slight dip in response at about 7k.

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/CSS-FR125-intro.pdf

They're 150 a pair so price wise they look really good however I can't find and RMS values. My Rub604 allows 150wrms@8x4 so I have plenty of wattage to throw at them. Other than RMS, what could I expect output wise? If a sealed kick doesn't have enough output, I can probably do some kind of vented kick using pvc tubing if I needed to. I could also probably get a second set (two 16ohm's to run at 8) and seal 'em up.

So.. RMS? output? suggestions?

I think the FR can do the job for you. I have a pair of WR's and was extremely surprised by them. If you get them aimed right I bet you won't have a problem getting them to do what you want. They don't need too much to get going in any environment.

Well, I'm really starting to like the way the fr125s' are looking. I think I might try two pair on each side with the Id 6.5's in kicks and see what comes of it.... after I sell what I don't need of course.

edit, the jordan JX92S' look amazing too but at over 200 per 4" I just can't swing it.

Well, I'm really starting to like the way the fr125s' are looking. I think I might try two pair on each side with the Id 6.5's in kicks and see what comes of it.... after I sell what I don't need of course.
edit, the jordan JX92S' look amazing too but at over 200 per 4" I just can't swing it.
these are both in the same class... however the problem with larger diamater speakers is that they BEAM!!! go 15 degrees off axis even and the highs go pfft in a hurry... point them both right at your head though and you are golden...

Yeah, but Jordans are the no-holds-barred, balls-to-the-wall driver if you have the amplifier power for them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Too much power needed for me, though...

however the problem with larger diamater speakers is that they BEAM!!!
With a phase plug, up to 8" drivers can be used with good results...I've heard 8's with suitable mods have killer off-axis response. Stock, they sound "shouty" as hell, though.

I do own a pair. They dont need that much power. I did see a graph saying that 30 watts is about as much power as you need to give them. I do not know thier thermal limit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

pwnt by pat

10+ year member
Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!
pwnt by pat
Pa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date