four ridiculous(?) feature requests

arciphera

greetings, all.

I am hoping someone who reads this post will know of a car stereo which does what I want mine to do. (well, mine if/when I ever own such a model.) I would not be surprised if this seems very strange and completely silly/pointless to most members of this forum, but I don't see how it can hurt to ask, so here goes...

I want a car stereo with all - not just one or two or even three, but ALL - of the following features:

1. it does not "fade in" the first split-second of a CD (or any manually selected track on a CD) when it begins playing. ("but that protects your ears from sudden and unexpected blasts of audio!" shut up. I know what's on my CDs, I know what to expect from the first few seconds of each track I select, and I don't need the very beginning of every song/disc I listen to being completely ruined for me just because YOU think I'm too stupid to remember where I last set the volume.)

2. it does not pause between tracks (ie: it plays CDs seamlessly from one track to the next, just like most home units do).

3. it does not reset the volume to a lower/"safer" level - no matter how high it is set - when the stereo and/or car is powered off and then back on.

4. when it finishes playing a CD, it does not start playing from the beginning of the disc again, but instead ejects it...or at least stops playing. (a simple power-off will be fine. I just want the audio to truly END when the CD itself ends.)

I am 39 years old now and have had the opportunity to use (or just tinker with) literally hundreds of car stereos throughout my curiosity-tempered life; thus far I have never found even one which has all four of the above features/characteristics. suffice it to say, I am downright sick of designers/manufacturers assuming in their infinite wisdom that I should be forced to endure "safe"/"convenient"/MP3ish behavior from my car stereo. I mean, seriously, who in the WORLD wouldn't want their CDs to always automatically play in endlessly repeating loops? well golly-gosh, golly-gee, oh me oh my oh whadaya know...I guess I would! I might be the only person on the entire planet with that preference, though.

thanks in advance to anyone/everyone whose input is even the slightest bit of help to me.

When the MP3 became a necessary "feature" on head units, most of your wants disappeared.

MP3's made the companies rethink their digital converters, which meant they started the "fading in" of digital data streams due to the great variations of recorded volume from one track to the next.

Same with the "pause" between tracks.

I suppose an old head unit that wasnt designed for MP3's would be your only choice, but I doubt any newer than 1998 model would do everything you want.

2. it does not pause between tracks (ie: it plays CDs seamlessly from one track to the next, just like most home units do).

That one really annoys me because several "song pairs" ideally require almost no delay between them, for example the instant jump between Journey's "Feeling That Way/Anytime" sounds messed up when the songs are two separate tracks and you can sense the delay. Same with "Intruder/Pretty Woman" by Van Halen, Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker"/"Living Loving Maid" and Queen's "We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions"

My solution is to manually mix the songs into a single track in Sony Vegas Pro ( an AV editing program).

I've been tweaking quite a few songs lately such as taking out long slow intros from some Rush Songs to get to the rocking parts, as well as removing the long series of "now I knows" from the middle of Queen's "The Prophet Song".

That one really annoys me because several "song pairs" ideally require almost no delay between them, for example the instant jump between Journey's "Feeling That Way/Anytime" sounds messed up when the songs are two separate tracks and you can sense the delay. Same with "Intruder/Pretty Woman" by Van Halen, Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker"/"Living Loving Maid" and Queen's "We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions"

My solution is to manually mix the songs into a single track in Sony Vegas Pro ( an AV editing program).

I've been tweaking quite a few songs lately such as taking out long slow intros from some Rush Songs to get to the rocking parts, as well as removing the long series of "now I knows" from the middle of Queen's "The Prophet Song".
Would def be interested in hearing your versions.

Would def be interested in hearing your versions.
They are nothing special - just timed closer to the way they sounded on the original albums or cassettes.

But a typical example of chopping up songs is what I did with the 20+ minute version of Rush's 2112. I kept in the Overture and The Temples Of Syrinx ( the best part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ) took out the next 3 slow parts then added the Grand Finale back in. I love the whole song when I'm at home.. but in the car I just want to hear the heavier sections of the song at more manageable 8 minutes.

They are nothing special - just timed closer to the way they sounded on the original albums or cassettes.
But a typical example of chopping up songs is what I did with the 20+ minute version of Rush's 2112. I kept in the Overture and The Temples Of Syrinx ( the best part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ) took out the next 3 slow parts then added the Grand Finale back in. I love the whole song when I'm at home.. but in the car I just want to hear the heavier sections of the song at more manageable 8 minutes.
I get it man i'm the same way.Too much intro/outro can mess a song all up when we're tryin to rock..lol..My listening habits are 95% rock/metal.

The pause is inherent in the burning of a CD from a computer. Original discs won't pause. Properly burned CD'S won't pause. Mp3 will pause on most players. My Alpine head units never insert pauses in original discs. When burning the CD, there is an option for a 2 second pause. Beyond that, I think it's a MP3 buffering delay.

I've had newer head units ramp up volume at startup but not between tracks or once the system is fired up. Some allowed setting of max volume or startup volume (older Blaupunkt ). It's a turn-on noise prevention feature, but they return to the previous volume setting from last power up. I haven't seen power -up volume in defeatable in a menu.

Repeat disc can be turned off on some decks but they won't eject or power down. Older head units are more likely to just stop playing (90's).

Make sure your evaluations are with original CD'S and not burned discs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree with this ^^^. The delay between tracks is a recording thing, not the CD player. My cheap JVC does all of what you want except eject a CD when it's done. And to tell the truth, that would be an annoyance to me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.