Found My Next Head Unit: Alpine iDA-X001

that cant play cd;s though I do beleave, only mp3 etc...I suppose you could hook up a changer...kinda cool though
i dont think i put more than 3 cds in my 9855, but those 3 were all for SQ. and i think it does play cd's though.

i dont think i put more than 3 cds in my 9855, but those 3 were all for SQ. and i think it does play cd's though.
No. I don't think it does. If you look at all the other decks in that lineup and they say CD/MP3/receiver. That deck says "digital media receiver". I think you'd be making a big mistake by getting that unit but if you love your ipod that much then go ahead.

BTW, just when I thought Alpine units couldn't get any uglier they go and prove me wrong again.

Nope , no cd . Just tuner and usb connection . You can connect a changer if you want . Actually for some odd reason I see the market going this way in the future //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am still holding out on the ipod until I find a use for one.

It looks like the market is leaving me behind, cramming units with feature I could care less about and leaving out the ones that I do.

As Ramos said, I also see the digital media market taking lead over CD's. IPod's are taking over, as are there counterparts. i.e., Zune, and just regular MP3 players. CD's will go the way of the cassette in not that long, IMO.

But, in defense of CD's, i will still own a regular CD deck for a long time to come. But, if you only listen to your IPod, then this deck may be the way to go. Let us know how you like it if you get it. Would be a good candidate for the Review Thread.

Guys, I think you're talking nonsense. There is no way car audio as an industry is going to leave CDs behind. Do you have any idea how many CDs are out in circulation? Its a staggering number to say the least. Do you also know how many people DO NOT and NEVER WILL buy an ipod?? That number is also staggering. Saying CD will go the way of the cassette is completely wrong. SACD and DVD-Audio are superior to CD and they couldn't even come close to accomplishing this feat. In fact they couldn't even get their feet off the ground. So how would an inferior format have a chance?? Most of my MP3s that I have on my computer and burn onto CD for my car are ripped from CDs I own. Atleast then I know they're of decent quality for an MP3. CD will be around for a long time for 3 reasons.

1 - Too many CD's in circulation to not incorporate into a player.

2 - Still superior in SQ over compressed formats and these so called "lossless" formats.

3 - It's too easy and cheap to burn a CD on your PC these days.

Guys, I think you're talking nonsense. There is no way car audio as an industry is going to leave CDs behind. Do you have any idea how many CDs are out in circulation? Its a staggering number to say the least. Do you also know how many people DO NOT and NEVER WILL buy an ipod?? That number is also staggering. Saying CD will go the way of the cassette is completely wrong. SACD and DVD-Audio are superior to CD and they couldn't even come close to accomplishing this feat. In fact they couldn't even get their feet off the ground. So how would an inferior format have a chance?? Most of my MP3s that I have on my computer and burn onto CD for my car are ripped from CDs I own. Atleast then I know they're of decent quality for an MP3. CD will be around for a long time for 3 reasons.
1 - Too many CD's in circulation to not incorporate into a player.

2 - Still superior in SQ over compressed formats and these so called "lossless" formats.

3 - It's too easy and cheap to burn a CD on your PC these days.

I bet some people were thinking the same thing about cassette 10 years ago. I could see if you bought CDs on a memory stick or something like that, I just don't do the downloading music thing.

mp3s are more consumer friendly than SACD. 5/10 people couldn't tell the difference I would bet. But 9 of 10 could tell the difference between an ipod and CD (physically, not the sound quality)

Most of you guys are too young to remember . But the exact same thing was said about cassettes and vhs tapes . I'm not saying they will go completely away from cd's instantly . I have seen it happen with several different formats over the past 40 years //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I bet some people were thinking the same thing about cassette 10 years ago. I could see if you bought CDs on a memory stick or something like that, I just don't do the downloading music thing.
mp3s are more consumer friendly than SACD. 5/10 people couldn't tell the difference I would bet. But 9 of 10 could tell the difference between an ipod and CD (physically, not the sound quality)
NOPE !! 10 years ago the CD format was already 13 years old. In fact 1989 was the year that CDs in circulation matched the number of vinyl albums in circulation. Since then they have become the stronghold format for music. The only reason cassettes didn't make it was because they wear out and have a limited dynamic range. The only thing that kept them around was the fact there were still alot of cars that had cassette players and cassettes were about the only medium for recording since CD burning on your PC hadn't taken effect yet. Comparing CD to MP3 is NOT the same as comparing CD to cassette.

Don't get me wrong I agree MP3 is more consumer friendly. However, how do you think alot of people listen to MP3s?? On a CD. Atleast I do anyway. You have to admit though that the MP3 players such as IPOD and it's competition pretty much appeals to the younger crowd. What about the other part of the market that still appreciate the sound of CD?? Do you really think thats all just going to go away?? Don't think so. Anyway, there is only one player built by Alpine that made this player and chose to leave out a cd player. All of Pioneer's new USB head units will also play CDs. So I hardly see how CDs are in danger. Leave it to Alpine to make such a unit.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.