Fosgate - The Punch (PR-2100)

zxcshadow
10+ year member

...I think im lost.
C:\
Hey, I was talking with my dad about car audio and stuff the other night and he was telling me what he had in his car and stuff like that. The next day he comes into my room with this box. Its a Fosgate - "The Punch" PR-2100 Electronic Crossover and Power Amplifier. This was top of the line back then 200 watts RMS

Check it out.

amp-and-xover.jpg

manual

Hey zxcshadow, I have that same preamp and poweramp. They have the 5 pin interconnects, thats the first one I've seen on line anywhere. I've been trying to research how I could use mine in an updated setup. Those were made in mid to late 70's. Problem I have found is turning it on, and pin config. Do you have any info on how you could hook that thing up, or maybe your dad could explain to you. I would love to hook mine up and see how it sounds. I'd like to maybe use it for some comps. Anyway if you feel like it or want to swap notes I'd be more than happy. CC

I realize this thread is 2 years old but I had a Fosgate PR-2100 and PR-2100 Type II. They were the best of the best in the late 70's early 80's. The only thing that came close at that time was the Alpine 3002 50W + 50W PWM Amps paired up with the 3007 Equalizer and the 3001 Time Delay Unit it was stellar.

The PR-2100 had a Preamp with adjustable input pots in the top of its lightweight black brushed aluminum chassis. Bass, Mid, Treble were adjustable independently for each channel and it had a gorgeous and long LED display that started out green, then yellow, then the peaks in red. Stunning to watch in action. Back then there weren't many preamp out decks so you had to take the deck to a tech and have him solder the 5 pin Din plug to the preamp outputs in the cassette deck. In those days Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine all had proprietery type connectors so you couldn't mix and match systems. Universal RCA's did not become common until a few years later.

The Preamp had a din cable that connected to the Power Amp portion it was big! It was actually two of their 50W per channel amps housed in one chassis. I heard one set up in a Trans Am using a Nakamichi 350 Portable Unit that was custom mounted where the stock console is, he had the Cerwin Vega CS-15 HED's in the rear deck, and he had Klipsch Heresy's in the spots where the back seat cushions used to be. Before car stereo had become a big thing that was the most incredible sounding system that I had ever heard.

Your links no longer work for the pictures and manual on the PR-2100 but if anyone has one I can help get it connected for you. I remember mine pretty well.

I can't believe after all this time this thread gets resurrected. Hey Fizninvt, I still got mine its collecting dust in my closet. So you had one of these, what did you think of the sound?. I would definantly like to hook mine up to give a listen even if its just on my bench, before I make a decision to incorporate it into my system or sell it.( I'm in no rush to do either) I've read the manual cover to cover many times, looked at the wire diagrams etc. but I couldn't figure out how to turn the **** thing on. There is no obvious remote turn on wire. I think I remember someone telling me that somehow the amp turned on the deck or something like that ??? Those 5 pin din connectors are rare as hens teeth, any ideas on how to convert to rca's or something more practical. I'm running an Alpine CDA 9813 right now with US Accoustics 4065 amp pushing Infinity Kappa 63.5i's and 462.5cfp and a US Accoustics 2100 bridged pushing my 12" Kappa perfect. Can the Fosgate be hooked up to contempary equiptment without tearing apart the case, I'm not soldering anything to my Alpine. Anyway I would like very much to talk to you about any ideas you have to hook this bad boy up and try it out. CC

Hey Frzninvt, What the hey, I'v been trying to get ahold of you for a week. I definantly want some info on the amp thread you dug up. I PM'ed you, I've been checking these boards every couple hours. Why don't you come back and check on the thread?. CC

Hey Frzninvt, What the hey, I'v been trying to get ahold of you for a week. I definantly want some info on the amp thread you dug up. I PM'ed you, I've been checking these boards every couple hours. Why don't you come back and check on the thread?. CC

You might want to call Rockford, and see if they can help you out, if this guy doesnt come back.

I E-mailed Rockford and got a copy of the manual, but it wasn't much help. The amp dosen't have a conventional remote turnon wire, the manual says you have to bring it to a tech and have some wires soldered to the preamp section of the cassette deck. CD's weren't invented yet, so I don't even know if it can be used with a cd player, I would like to try it out. I understand it was a good amp in its heyday. Thanks alot. TTT CC

Sorry Charlie, did not mean to fall off the planet. I can help answer some of your questions and provide you an option to connect your CDA-9813 to the PR2100 II. I ended up selling my boxed one many moons ago to get the money to fix the winshield in my truck that a buddy broke. My first PR2100 (original one) worked great for awhile, it quit and they replaced it with the Type II and I could never get it to perform correctly. It would play to a point, and then start pulsing. I gave up and went to an Alpine system with dual 3002 amplifiers (50W + 50W) using the really cool mini-eq with the active time delay unit. The Alpine 7307 cassette deck was one of the very best, short of using a portable Nakamichi unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.