Focal Performance PS165 vs Hertz Energy ESK 165.3

First time poster so be gentle...

I have an Alfa Romeo 159 TI and am in the process of building out a new system. So far I have stripped the boot and sound proofed it ready for the bass and have purchased all the parts I need, except the upgrades for the front stereo pair.

I plan on keeping the Alfa "Blue & Me" system and headunit so have picked up an Audio Control LC2i & remot ebass controller to give me clean feeds to the amps. I have an old Infinty Kappa Perfect VQ SVC 12" that sounds awesome and an Alpine MRV-T410 which I have upgraded the cooling in. The sub will go in a custom housing in the rear quarter of the boot.

I also have a hertz amp that should run the front stereo pair, but I need to check its spec etc first as its running a JL 10" in another car at the minute.

So the real question is. Do I buy the focals and run them off the hertz amp, or do I buy the hertz and run them off a hertz amp, or do I ditch the hertz amp and buy a focal amp and focal speakers?

Help and advice is appreciated.

Amp brand dont matter. You dont have to match it up like that. I had the ESKs before the HSKs. For the price I paid they where pretty good. For your choice you really need to demo them both. Every ear is different and the install will be the biggest factor

I checked and the amp was an Onyx (not great) so ditching the idea of using that amp now.

I am used to listening to studio monitors in my home (Rokit KRK RP6G2 's + Rokit KRK10s) and I have listened to many Focals of similar size and type so I am leaning towards the Focal's, but now with an additional Focal Amp (Focal FPP 2100) to run them.

I did however read on a forum somewhere that the Hertz gear is made in the same factory as the Focal gear and that their is literally nothing between them other than price and brand, but as I have not been able to confirm it, I think Focal is the right way to go for me.

The signal is going to be cleaned up very well by the AudioControl LC2i and that Focal amp will give me greater dynamics and frequency response than a cheaper model, so that tallied with the adjustable crossovers for the Performance speakers should give me enough trim on the top end to stop it sounding harsh without having to add a parametric EQ into the mix.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.