Fluttering noise?

tRiGgEr
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Diego, Ca
Ok I have a 12" xxx in a 2.5 cubic foot box tuned to 30hz. And my port has 33.75 square inches of port area.

On certain notes my sub moves a lot and there is a fluttering sound coming from the port. If I place my hand by the port a crap load of air is moving threw the port. Yet the bass sounds muffled and there is that fluttering sound coming from the port.

Is this just port noise due to the port area being to small? If not what causes this? Maybe playing a certain frequency?

Please help fellas.

Never mind. I'm selling this stupid sub. I love it and am going to hate to sell it. But the size of box and port required is just retarded. The port required takes up half of the boxes internal space making it harder to build a small box tuned low. **** near impossible. If I have to build a box of 4 cubic feet only to have the port take up 1.5 - 2 cubic feet of that, Thats just dumb.

So I'll probably be selling this **** thing and buy a sub capable of working in a smaller box.

You know what. I have the same problem with my subs man.. I have 2 Audiobahn Aw12t's and they seem to make that same fluttering noise on some notes also.. I will get some songs, and listen to them, and let you know what types of songs it happens on.. Weird though, I don't think the subs are blown, or they wouldn't still sound good, but it is irritating!

its port noise for sure guys.

i get it a little bit too (but i also have a little leak in the baffle around the edge that im too lazy to fix.

but try sanding down the edges of the port so that its rounded instead of square... that will let the air flow more freely and might be able to stop that annoying fluttering.

Ok, Iv'e thought about it. If it is port noise, I will try sanding the edges and making sure everything is sealed good.

If this doen not fix the problem I'll just run my sealed box..

Thanks for the help guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.