first try at kerfing

RangerDangerV2
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
st cloud MN
I recently decided to do a practice enclosure (kerfing practice for the most part) before I build the enclosure for my next build.

Now to do a kerf, you need to remove wood to make the wood bend. I used 12 ply birch for this one.

The math is very simple, find the radius of your kerf, then multiply by two for the diameter. Then take the diameter and multiply it by pi. this will give you the length of the kerfed section. Then, divide that by 12 to find the spacing between the cuts. (Im sure someone else will chime in here with a different way to do it, but I used 12 cuts and it worked fine for me.)

I recommend using a few scrap pieces for practice

here is my first try, no math just spaced it 3/8" to see what it was like

IMG218_zpsd0479b49.jpg

not too bad for a first try.

now, for the enclosure. its for a pair of sa8v2s going in the trunk of a 66 impala

1.6 cu ft, tuned to 32 w/15 sq inches of port per cu ft

strandesboxcap_zpscd6dccec.png

IMG220_zps3517a83a.jpg

IMG223_zps39a8b180.jpg

IMG225_zps741bc7ff.jpg

ill get more pics when paint and carpet are done, but not too bad for my first try, especially with a dual kerf. probably the hardest part was getting the kerfs to match eachother. more pics to come!

Thanks guys! hopefully this helps some people. Now the next kerf will be on this

215scappic-1_zps49b33884.png

6.5 cu ft tuned to 31 w/15 sq inches of port per cu ft. double baffle all around. should be a nazzty g.p.

for 2 customnnsv2 15s on 3.5k.... for now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Looks good, man.

Have you considered using a roundover bit for the edges of the outside of the box? Helps a lot with carpeting, but even if you don't carpet, gives it a really finished look.

Looks good, man.
Have you considered using a roundover bit for the edges of the outside of the box? Helps a lot with carpeting, but even if you don't carpet, gives it a really finished look.
I did lol? last image in original post shows it...

I did lol? last image in original post shows it...
Good God, I'm going blind. I really need to stop jerkin'

Nothing to see here, move along!

And great work again. Really well done for a first attempt with no measurements.

I recently decided to do a practice enclosure (kerfing practice for the most part) before I build the enclosure for my next build.Now to do a kerf, you need to remove wood to make the wood bend. I used 12 ply birch for this one.

The math is very simple, find the radius of your kerf, then multiply by two for the diameter. Then take the diameter and multiply it by pi. this will give you the length of the kerfed section. Then, divide that by 12 to find the spacing between the cuts. (Im sure someone else will chime in here with a different way to do it, but I used 12 cuts and it worked fine for me.)

I recommend using a few scrap pieces for practice

here is my first try, no math just spaced it 3/8" to see what it was like

IMG218_zpsd0479b49.jpg

not too bad for a first try.

now, for the enclosure. its for a pair of sa8v2s going in the trunk of a 66 impala

1.6 cu ft, tuned to 32 w/15 sq inches of port per cu ft

ill get more pics when paint and carpet are done, but not too bad for my first try, especially with a dual kerf. probably the hardest part was getting the kerfs to match eachother. more pics to come!
You have to divide the circumference by 4 as well before dividing by 12. People do realize there is a video for doing this at the top of this section right? Looks good though

You have to divide the circumference by 4 as well before dividing by 12. People do realize there is a video for doing this at the top of this section right? Looks good though
ahh yes, I knew I was missing something. and yes I do realize that this is stickied, where do you think I learned it from? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I just like to show off my work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.