First Car Audio system

cbrucato23

NY
Hey guys, what's up. I'm new to these forums as I have my road test in a couple of weeks and I'm going to have a 2002 Chevy Blazer.

I've never had a car audio system before (Obviously) So I'm new to this. If you guys could help me out that would be great.

So I looked it up and my car is supposed to have the following:

4x6 front

6x9 rear

4x6 dash

6.75 front door

6.75 back door

6x9 rear side panel

Basically, I have no clue what I should buy so if you guys have any recommendations that would be great. I'm also looing to add a subwoofer and maybe an amplifier to my system. Also, I was wondering if I should buy a stereo even if I already have one? Also, what channel amplifier? My budget total is probably somewhere around $300-500 total, so if you guys could help me out that would be great.

Thanks

I guess another question would be if I want front, rear, dash, front door, back door, rear side panel, and a subwoofer what channel amp would that be?

Set a limit on a goal you want or else you'll spend all of your money. Just get a 2 channel (R and L) and split the power evenly that way. Get a second 1 channel amp for the subs. If you don't want extra batteries or a Hi Out alt, keep it under 2kw. That's probably the cheapest route to take.

oh I gotchu so maybe I don't need all 6 pairs of speakers maybe get like front, front door, backdoor, rear and then amps and subs?

I'd say add an amplifier and an aftermarket head unit first. Dont touch the speakers yet. Get an alpine 147bt with a Precision Power PPI P900.4 Phantom Series 4-Channel Amplifier and you'll be amazed at what your stock speakers can accomplish with actual power going through them. Your stock deck puts out at most 4-5 watts to each speaker. That amp can handle a 2 ohm load, assuming your stock speakers are 4 ohms wired parallel to eachother. Should be stable.

Being new, I would keep it simple. Get four coaxial, or a set of components for up front and a pair of coaxials for the rear, and run them off the head unit. If you want your highs and mids to be louder, you could get a 4 channel amp to power them, but that's up to your budget. For the sub stage I'd measure your trunk space and figure out the room you have for an enclosure, then go with the largest sub that you have room for in that space. Look into building your own custom ported enclosure, or invest in ordering one from a good builder, and you'll be set. Keep power levels under 1k on factory electrical and be sure to get quality wiring for your power and ground. Knu Konceptz and Sky High would be good brands to look into for wiring and accessories.

Most people here only run front speakers. I would recommend you do the same unless you always have people in the back.

Best route is to first get a quality Head Unit (HU). Depending on if you can fit a single DIN or a double DIN, you have different options.

After that you should first amp your stock speakers. Find out what impedance (ohm rating) your front speakers are and their power handling (how many watts each speaker can take) and get a 2 channel that can do that power at the ohm rating. Your stock speakers can probably take around 35 watts at 4 ohm. I would find something that can do around 60 watts at 4 ohm but keep the gain on the amp down until you get new speakers (if you do).

Then go out in your truck and measure out your max dimensions for a box. Then after that, find a subwoofer setup that can do well in the space you have and then either build the box yourself or pay someone to do it for you. Then buy a 1 channel monoblock amp for the sub.

Your stock electrical will probably be able to do up to maybe 800 - 1200 watts so get a subwoofer that can take that power then buy the amp that can supply that power. Anything over that will lead to headlight dimming and you don't want that.

After that, depending on if you need it, deaden your truck. This will stop rattles and even incoming road noise from entering your vehicle, making your music in the truck sound louder and clearer.

Depending on what brands you go with and how many subs you get (I'd recommend maximum 2 due to power restriction), you should expect to pay at most 1000$, at minimum 500$. This is including all the wire, ring terminals, fuses, etc. That's one thing about car audio that always gets people... the cost of all the other stuff that ISN'T gear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif.

That's a basic install and will either satisfy you completely or lead you down the expensive and addicting path of being a car audio enthusiast. And if that happens, next thing you know you will have no back seat and you will have 4 18s walled on 12K watts...

oh I gotchu so maybe I don't need all 6 pairs of speakers maybe get like front, front door, backdoor, rear and then amps and subs?
being your first system let's keep it simple and start with the basics: add more power, upgrade main speakers, add subwoofer.

For starters here is the wiring diagram for your stereo..

349617_Eonon_821_wiring_1.jpg

DO NOT cut any of the wires except for the following.

Gray/gray black, Green/green black, Violet/violet black, and White/white black are your speaker wires.

The ONLY other wire you will cut and splice into is the power antenna lead wire, i don't know what color but it should have a diode wired into it, this wire will also function as the turn-on circuit for the amplifier.

2 x Rockford Fosgate RFI2SW Speaker Line High Level Input To Male RCA $14

1 x MB Quart OA1000.5 1000W 5-Channel Onyx Series Car Amplifier $180

1 x Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp 4" x 6" Kappa Series Plate Speakers $73.50

1 x Rockford Fosgate PUNCH P1675 6.75" Car Speakers $60

1 x NVX NSW124 12" Dual 4 ohm N-Series Car Subwoofer (NSW 124) $60

1 x http://www.toolfetch.com/audio-enhancers-ko112c-12-ko-series-single-ported-empty-enclosure-2-07-cu-ft.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=DAS-KO112C&gclid=CIPtjuqv5r8CFWuCMgodBHwAHQ $84.30

MB quart 1100 watt amplifier (75 x 4 & 350 x 1), NVX 4 ohm 12" 350 watt subwoofer, 2.07 cu ft ported enclosure, Infinity Kappa 60 watt 4 x 6 dash speakers , Rockford Fosgate Punch 60 watt 6.75" door speakers and high/low level converters, $471.80

Pick out your own amp kit..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.