Firing position

Participant count
  • Participant list

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
Never paid much attention to it....seems like it's one of the most important thing.

So, for rear subwoofers, what are the differences for each position ? up, down, rear, front...

i own a '16 grand caravan and want to put a 12'' on the rear corner of the van. Don't know yet if it's gonna be sealed or ported. Still hesitating between SPL and SQ.

I've never sit in a SQ car so i don't know what i could expect from Dayton RSS315HO-44 12'' or IDQ 12D2 for example....i've only experienced SPL subs like HCCA 15'' and audiobahn eternal 12''. HCCA 15'' was clearly too much overkill for what i'M looking for, audiobahn was driven at 500 rms and it was OK.

So, say i go for dayton or ID, should i go sealed or ported for mainly hip hop music ?

Rear fire ? down ? up ? front ?

Is that kind of SQ subs good for hip hop ?

I was also thinking of a HDC3.1 12'' dual 2 that i would run at 4 ohm at lower wattage, maybe 800w or so. I could run it a 1 ohm later and pull more wattage out of it if i feel i need to.

The front stage will be Hertz hv165xl and HT-28 or NVX x-series 28mm. ( i'm gonna get the hv165xl in trade with my keenwood HU so...)

What you guys think ?

i'm very confused between SQ and SPL, don't know what the f*ck to do !! i want everything to be loud and sharp but only for everyday ride, not 150dB loud, you know.

i know i'm covering many subjects here but i'm lost and want to buy quick and get this system running ASAP. ! Everything will be run through a DSP also...

With EQ, you can have both. Its better to have waay too much output vs too little. There's a sub level control on the head unit for a reason. You can easily get sound quality out of almost ANY subwoofer on the market with a properly designed ported box or 1/4 wave T line box. A 12 in a big car like that will be rather lacking if you like it loud, you arent gonna get anywhere near 150 but you should at least shoot for above 140db then EQ out peaks in your subwoofer response to have a smooth bandwidth. Willing to bet that HCCA setup you heard would not sound any different from an SQ brand if the hcca was tuned right by both enclosure and sound processing.

Usually port firing to the rear is best in caravans.

I'd highly suggest you get a proper enclosure design matched for your listening preferences first based on the space you want to give up rather than thinking that Sub brands are what gives you SQ because you are at the price/quality threshold where theres not much difference between the subs performance wise.

Good, thanks !

I guess ill go for hdc3 then...maybe a 15", considering the little price difference vs. a 12".

I think i'm ready now!

One last thing, what would the best place for those tweeters ? Into the pillars ? Doors ? Aimed straight at me or not ?

On 800w i really suggest something like an ssa gcon 12 or 15 over the hdc3. Still capable of good output, but easier to get a linear response. Not to mention, 800w is a nice input on a gcon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.