Finishing MDF/Plastic box with resin

Participant count
  • Participant list

pwr2max
10+ year member

So i used gas distrobution piping and mdf to make a box for 2 PG Ti10's (theres an unfinished pic of one in my gallery). So anyways, i want to coat the outside with fiberglass resin and was wondering whats the best way to do this. For example, how much hardener should i use? Should i just paint it on with a brush? Do i just sand, prime, and paint in the end or do i need to add something else to it like bondo? I was told that by doing so it will seal everything up and after sanding it down and painting it will give a good shine. Thanks.

well. how firm is that tubing? how thick is it? as long as you put some kind of silicone\hot glue\somthing between the baffle and the plastic tube thing, it should be sealed fairly well. you might wanna put some kinda seal on the INSIDE using resin... that will get it nice and air tight.

outside thou, just sand+prime+sand more+paint+sand more+clear coat+sand more+clear+buff\wax (few coats of each please)

then he will be nice+happy+shiny.

there are many painting tutorials around, find one to your liking, and follow it for a shiny finish. just get some primer that will adhear to that plastic and wood. dont use 2 different primers, will look weird i think.

good luck tho.

Alright thanks for all the replies. The tubing is actually a little thicker than 3/4 in and it is more dense than mdf. I will probably use the resin now to seal up the inside real tight and do the sand, prime and paint thing outside. Do you think i can apply the resin on top of the silcone? Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.