Figgerin Out A Sub Box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LWW
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SORRY I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER SECTION IN ERROR AND SAW THAT IT BELONGS HERE.

When a size is listed for a sealed sub box are the using the total internal size of the box alone or are they using the remaining box size with the sub installed?

If it is with the sub installed how can one quickly determine the volume of an 8" or 10" sub alone so that the total box volume can be derived?

Also how important is the SHAPE of the box? My particular design will be roughly the same in width and height but pretty shallow and may need to slope in at both ends?

Lastly what is the best material for SQ? I have seen many using MDF but I doubt it would taking an accidental bang as well as wood.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

PEACE

When building a box use the internal demensions. (if you using 1/2" subtract 1" in your external measurements.) Speaker displacement should also be considered...how much volume the speaker takes up. When you buy a sub, it should say in it's paperwork if their are using internal or external demensions and give the sub displacement. (If they use external, they teel you what thickness of wood to use.)

If the enclosure alreay has the sub installed, you need to find out what thickness the material is and the sub displacement and measure accordingly. (L x W x H / 1782 = cu.') If the encloseur is irregular shaped then you have to remember geometry class. Divide it up into squares and triangles (or even circles) to get the numbers.

Shap doesn't really matter. The important thing is the volume.

MDF is the best enclosure material. If it will be in a rough application you can use some of your hard woods like oak, maple, ect...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.