Fiberglass Shapes

The best use for fiberglass is to get more airspace for your box when you cant fit a perfect square or rectangle into that area. To do this, check out http://www.caraudioresources.net then go to tech page, and check out the 5-10 websites on fiberglassing. They are very useful and go over basic to advanced fiberglassing. The installation pics of the Alpine show car are very useful.

A few people hit on it in this thread, so ill combine a few things they said....You have to start from some sort of skeleton as someone called it, build it out of 1/2 mdf so when it gets covered it doesn't harm anything inside there. This should take on the GENERAL shape of the box. The begin to apply fiberglass mesh and resin.....3 or 4 coats. Then build up the areas you want with fleece (if your going to go cheap, buy the thinest stuff you can at the fabric store). Use it the same way you used the mesh, but only in areas you want to build up. When you done, use 2-3 additional layer of normal fiber mesh to strengthen it (the fibric is week as hell). Then get a couple tubs of bondo to finish the surface smoothly to paint (you can use this to build up a bit as well, but beware that bondo is not ment for thickness and does not have the structural ingetregy that fiberglass has, given that this if very close to lot of vibrations in the car, it may crack over time. if you do build up with bondo, thinner layers will delay the inevitable cracking.) There are other techniques for making things like kick pannels where you can mold to the surface of the car....let us know what your intending to build out of fiberglass and we can direct you more efficently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.