Fiberglass question

Participant count
  • Participant list

celica_pete21
10+ year member

CeliBoom
Hey! whats up, this is my first post, and Im sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldnt find it.

I own a celica, and I am going to start doing fiberglass enclosures for the forums I am a part of. And I am getting ready to do one now, but I have to take a mold of the back corner, which is almost all plastic. Last time I took a mold over a plastic piece, it somewhat melted because of the fiberglass getting so hot. I was just wondering what I should do about the trunk plastics because I do not want these to look deformed. I mean, does foil stop this problem? Like I am going to lay down alot of tape, then foil, and tape that down. Does that stop the heat from getting to the plastics? Thanks for all your help...

dont mix your resin so hot, less hardener and you should be fine.

ive never melted any plastic pieces and ive done several fg projects. it sounds to me like you are really mixing your stuff way to hot. wayyy too much hardener.

Dang man, did your resin set instantly ? I mix it rather hot myself, but I don't recall ever mixing it hot enough to melt plastic //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah, when I do a fiberglass project, I buy a thing of extra MEKP and add that in two...so like 2 little MEKP packages for 1 quart of resin. It gets the job don (ha, when your not working with plastic pieces), but you dont have to wait forever to start sanding and all! Like my fiberglass enclosure took 2 hours till it was ready for primer....Anyway, I got my project that I was talking about half way done. i will post pics as soon as I can.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.