Fiberglass Pod Worklog [PICS]

boister77
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
SoCal
i recenlty got a set of cdt es643 eurosports. wasn't planning on getting them, but it was a killer deal that i couldn't pass up.

anways, i want to try something different to bring the soundstage higher and more up front. so, i'm building a pod for the mid and tweet for the dash. the midbass will be in a pod on the door. i know i may run into imaging problems but i want to try something different.

here's the progress so far:

here are various pics of the baffle and base.

cdt01.jpg

cdt02.jpg

cdt03.jpg

cdt04.jpg

cdt05.jpg

cdt06.jpg
cdt07.jpg

i decided to use a spray adhessive to hold the material in place rather than staples. the first step i did was to spray the baffle.

cdt12.jpg

after i applied the cloth, i cutout the holes for the mid and tweet

cdt13.jpg

cdt14.jpg

cdt15.jpg
cdt16.jpg

cdt17.jpg

cdt18.jpg
cdt19.jpg

cdt20.jpg

the nice thing about using a spray adhessive is that it gives you the ability to stretch the material nice and easily. if you find that the form is not what you want, you can simply pull the material from the adhessive and restretch it to your liking. it's also much easier to use than staples/glue in my opinion.

here's the first layer of resin

cdt22.jpg

cdt23.jpg
cdt24.jpg

since this pod is for a mid and tweet. i'm might not use matting since the pod will have very little ressonance problems. two layers of resin should be more than enough, but i'll see.

here's a test fit of the pod in the dash

cdt25.jpg

On the dash? thats nuts.....and your not gonna use any mat? thats even crazier
haha...yeah. never know till you try. as for the mat, i might not use it since the pod won't have to deal with major ressonance problems. the pod for the midbass will definitely have mat though. but i'll most likely put mat on the dash pod for added strength.

haha...yeah. never know till you try. as for the mat, i might not use it since the pod won't have to deal with major ressonance problems. the pod for the midbass will definitely have mat though. but i'll most likely put mat on the dash pod for added strength.

Tell me how that works out. I've got to build a pod for some 4'' comps soon, and I want to use as little resin and mat as possible, because I'm cheap like that lol.

Tell me how that works out. I've got to build a pod for some 4'' comps soon, and I want to use as little resin and mat as possible, because I'm cheap like that lol.
i was hoping to do the same but after i added another layer of resin, it was strong but it could use a layer of mat. to be safe and ensure that the pod will be strong, i decided to add a layer of mat.

mat01.jpg

mat02.jpg

mat03.jpg

mat04.jpg

mat05.jpg

mat06.jpg

i would recommend that you add a layer of mat.

Does the driver side obstruct your view of the road?

My other concern would be the x-over point between the midrange and midbass, thats a tricky one with 3-ways.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.