Fiberglass or ??

NOIRtist
10+ year member

I'm looking around for a shop or individual (pref. S. Florida) who might be able to duplicate a radio bezel for my Trans Am. Basically, our stock HU is 1 1/2 DIN, and I'm looking to put a double DIN HU in. So the stock bezel around the unit needs to be modified to accept the larger size. I'd also like it to look somewhat stock in appearance, flat textured plastic sort of look. Here are 2 examples of Double DINs in similar cars with custom bezels. I'm also looking for this to be done on the cheap, because I've been quoted INSANE amounts, and the 2nd photo had his taken care of for 150 + 100 labor install. HU and all. If anyone can match that price, you'll save me the hassle of dealing with an out of state shop! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

MyTV12-1.jpg

PCDV0010.jpg

and here's a shot of the stock unit for reference.

stocker.jpg

If the price is right and the work is good, I may also have the same shop take care of my entire install. 2 subs w/box, components, 2 amps, and the hu + goodies. Altho, I may prefer to do it myself with a friend. Just for the experience and to save some coin. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. This forum has been great so far.

Where in Northern FL? And can they install the HU as well? Because some of the brackets need to be modified/fabbed, nothing extreme, simple stuff. I'd just prefer to have the person making the bezel install the HU so that everything lines up right. Also, can they make it look similar to a plastic bezel? And ballpark price? Thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

And as for the 1st one being fiberglass, I know that. Hence the ... ?? in the title. Im not sure if thats an abs mold or what, but ive seen a very similar job in a camaro and this was the method they went about to create it "take the factory trim cut it to the size needed, use some type of plastic bond to reform the trim and re-texturize and paint it to make it look factory."

I want it to look as factory as possible, so it doesnt look tacky.

I could do that also.

I also recommend that whoever you choose do the install of the HU for the very reason you mentioned. Brqackets and things will have to be fabbed and things trimmed out of the way.

What kinda time line are you looking at to get this done?

Within the next 2 months or so. Obviously this isnt top of my priority list, and you just never know how things will end up. But as of right now, I'm aiming for late Jan. Do you have a ballpark price? And have you done anything similar to this?

I have done many things similar to that.

Late January would be great if you choose me to do it.

As for a figure..... $200 - $250 installed.

Nice. I'll shoot you a message on aim, maybe you can show me some of your installs and what not.

Anyone else? I like to have options. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Nice. I'll shoot you a message on aim, maybe you can show me some of your installs and what not.
Anyone else? I like to have options. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
if dbornotdb is the same guy i saw on fiberglass forums.com then he is nice with the glass. wish i was in FL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

if dbornotdb is the same guy i saw on fiberglass forums.com then he is nice with the glass. wish i was in FL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Yeah, I am on there. Screenname is EpicenterDesigns there and every other forum I am on. This is the only one that has yet to grant me a name change.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif

ya i forgot what your name was on there but then i just saw your sig. im kinda close to 58 customs tho ill have him make me something one day prolly.

HI FI BUYS is a good place to get it done. about $280 all said and done. Wood and vynil work mah man... I work at tweeter in pa, it's called hi fi buys in fla. These guys do it every day and it is warrantied for the life of the vehicle. who else can do that? just something to think about when trying to get it done by someone locally. if the person is very good however, if they can also warranty their work, i would go with them.

I guess that would be "Sound Advice" not far from me. I'll run in there and talk to them about it, but 9 times out of 10 they're overpriced. Thanks. I didnt even think about them, but ill check em out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...