Fi BL 15" - warm dust cap

JoeK
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ringtown, PA
After playing my Fi BL for about 30 minutes near full volume i noticed the dust cap is really warm. I do not smell burning, but i do smell glue-- but i believe that is fine. The air coming out of the box is warm (i can only feel the temp if its not playing, though)

Is it fine for the dust cap to be warm? Its less than 1 week old and its still stiff as hell. I dont think im clipping

Yeah hopefully you aren't clipping it. Was your car really hot inside? lol Id turn mine on right after school on a hot day and it was hot in like 2 minutes, mostly I guess because it was like 90 degrees out

Are u playing at full tilt or full volume..... All subs dustcaps get warm is played for extended periods of time.... If ur not clipping them it's normal for a sub to get warm

Gain is under halfway, volume is about 1/2 HU full. Full volume means im playing up to the max point i have the gain set at to clarify

This is completely normal, how do you think a sub cools its self? It pushes air through the coil, heat transfer is going to happen between the dustcap and the polevent

How does it really sound compared to the Powerbass sub?
It is much better. Not only can i finally get good highs (for example, White girl by USDA) but the lows are even louder. Im just worried about the dust cap. It does make sense for cooling.

A hot dustcap is normal, but if you start smelling glue you should dial down your gain just a tiny bit. It could also be that you played a certain song that maybe was louder than the others so it clipped slightly.

Started a thread just like this about the Dust Caps on my SA 15's getting warm after extended play time.
Dust caps will typically get warm just from cooling the coils, and is fine as long as they do not get HOT and you're not clipping them.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/547001-warm-dust-caps.html
I assumed its fine, but i dont know where im at with the amount of power going in. I know im not clipping it though, verified by a DD-1. The glue smell is only if i sniff the port directly while its not playing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JoeK

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
JoeK
Ringtown, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date