Failed Denon DSW-80 sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zeptoplix
10+ year member

So, I picked up one of these units for $10.

Got it home, its broken, not a big deal it only cost me $10

Now i want to fix it.

I took it apart. That was alright.

What I found to be interested, is that the amplifier is completely sealed in a small box, with no external heatsink. The heatsink inside, was a joke. basically a thin plate of metal folded a couple times.

There are two modules, they look like mosfets, but i searched the part number and they came up something like thrysistors or something.

Parts : Toshiba A1941, Toshiba C5198

I am leaning towards one or both of these being failed. How can I test them? The amp powers on but goes into protect mode. No visible burn marks, or puffy caps. I think this is a poor design to have so much heat generated in this small box (the transformer, is in this box to) and that these parts have failed. What do you guys think?

Why not just replace it with a cheap plate amp from parts express? Much easier than trying to discern what is wrong with the amplifier...

BTW, if you want to wait a couple weeks I have a 25 watt RMS dayton plate amp that is laying around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Its back in my apartment at college...

Why not just replace it with a cheap plate amp from parts express? Much easier than trying to discern what is wrong with the amplifier...
BTW, if you want to wait a couple weeks I have a 25 watt RMS dayton plate amp that is laying around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Its back in my apartment at college...
Some people like to do it for the challenge... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well I can buy the parts I want to throw at it for $10 or so delivered. So if it still does not work, it still, is only $20 that is wasted. Why not keep it original, in case I want to sell it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.