External fuel pump install, need some input

My friend has a 98 dodge ram, the fuel pump is bad, he dosnt wanna spend 330 dollars for a new one,

so we were thinking about getting an external pump like an edelbrock one or whatever the auto parts store sells, for like $50 bucks.

How would we go about installing it, i was thinking just disconecting the wiring off the old pump, and using the fuel line that comes off the pump, and connecting it to the ******* part of the external pump, then have the out going back to where the orignal pump pumped to, and just using the orignal pump wiring to power the external one, and then just add a filter

It could be done. Also is the fuel filter in the tank. I know my 98 dakota is. So might have to fab up a fuel filter as well. But just follow the fuel line on the frame rail. Tie into that. Will have to fab up some fittings an all for the pump and filter. Tie the pump into the harness. Ground the black wire and splice into the postive turn on for the fuel pump to the new pump. Im sure the level sensor is good still so you can keep that wired up. Also think of this too. With the money you spend on the different pump(making sure its for fuel as well) the connectors for the lines(Im sure you are wanting to make it so you can replace it if this pump goes bad) and the special fuel lines for it and connectors for fuel filter as well. Think it might be just as close to that 300 dallor mark.

Your all of this too ....MECP MASTER CERT, MECP BASIC CERT, ASE A6

Yes, i am all of that, ASE A6 is electrical, I mean i got the wiring part down, im was just curious on the fuel line part, i just didnt know if i tapped into the fuel line on the rail, with the external pump if there was anything else i needed to do.

This should be fairly cheap, Im pretty much going to use some brass fittings, and attach them to the pump, cut the fuel line, attach each end of the line to the in/out of the pump, and somewhere after that add in a filter

The pump is about $50 some fittings and clamps about $15.

Would you happen to know if the fuel line is rubber?

Yes, i am all of that, ASE A6 is electrical, I mean i got the wiring part down, im was just curious on the fuel line part, i just didnt know if i tapped into the fuel line on the rail, with the external pump if there was anything else i needed to do.
This should be fairly cheap, Im pretty much going to use some brass fittings, and attach them to the pump, cut the fuel line, attach each end of the line to the in/out of the pump, and somewhere after that add in a filter

The pump is about $50 some fittings and clamps about $15.

Would you happen to know if the fuel line is rubber?

Na its plastic all the way. I would suggest making this so you can remove it all for replacement as well. Im sure your going to do that anyways. Do you have a pic of the pump.

I would do it right. A fuel system isn't something that shouldn't be a hack job. And thats exactally what you guys are thinking about doing.

Fuel pumps are insanely priced for some vehicles. Check around junkyards for a used pump. Or maybe the pump can be replaced without replacing the entire sending unit.

Most new vehicles have hard plastic lines that were never designed to be spliced. Not to mention most modern fuel injection systems can have nearly 40-50 psi in them. Not something I would trust to a hose clamp.

On the note of pressure, I'm pretty doubtful a $50ish pump is going to be able to build enough pressure. Most of those inline pumps you see at the parts store are for carb'ed engines..

Lastly, depending on how the old pump failed your new pump may not even be able to **** the fuel thru the old, failed pump.

$.02>

I would do it right. A fuel system isn't something that shouldn't be a hack job. And thats exactally what you guys are thinking about doing.
Fuel pumps are insanely priced for some vehicles. Check around junkyards for a used pump. Or maybe the pump can be replaced without replacing the entire sending unit.

Most new vehicles have hard plastic lines that were never designed to be spliced. Not to mention most modern fuel injection systems can have nearly 40-50 psi in them. Not something I would trust to a hose clamp.

On the note of pressure, I'm pretty doubtful a $50ish pump is going to be able to build enough pressure. Most of those inline pumps you see at the parts store are for carb'ed engines..

Lastly, depending on how the old pump failed your new pump may not even be able to **** the fuel thru the old, failed pump.

$.02>

Yeah I was trying to get him off the idea. With all the parts to do it the right he's right up there in buying a new pump.

To do an external fuel system the correct way, your better off just buying the intank replacement pump.

You should be able just to get the pump itself and not the entire unit in the aftermarket. The OEM will sell you a complete unit.

Make sure to get a new filter sock to go on the new pump. And the easiest way on a Ram is to slide the bed back to access the top of the fuel tank.

i dunno if that $50 pump is gonna pump the pressure needed, most are like 15psi, like about half of what you need, that will be nice when you lean the engine and melt all of those cast pistons

i dunno if that $50 pump is gonna pump the pressure needed, most are like 15psi, like about half of what you need, that will be nice when you lean the engine and melt all of those cast pistons
Worth repeating again for a third time. Its not worth it buy a new replacement fuel pump.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.