Extend Aeroport?

Participant count
  • Participant list

solidcrowd
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
My enclosure is tuned to 32hz right now. It's a 2.5cuft enclosure after sub and port displacement. I would like to try and tune to 28hz to see how low my Mag can get.

I cannot extend the port because it will hit the back wall. The enclosure depth is 15 and my port is 11" long (4" flared). I was wondering if I can build a MDF ring/baffle (like they do for door speakers) that would allow me to mount the port on and increase the space between the wall and end of port. Will the port's displacement be affected or enclosure volume?

If you're just testing extend the port on the outside of the box, keep the port length the same on the inside. Won't change anything on the inside and you can make it as long as you want (within reason)

Well the port's already cut to 11in. I would have to order another one from parts express. That's why I'm making sure this MDF ring idea will work before I spend $20 on another port.

ex. So If I build a 1" baffle and make the port 12" long instead of 11" long...Will I get a lower tunning?

Well the port's already cut to 11in. I would have to order another one from parts express. That's why I'm making sure this MDF ring idea will work before I spend $20 on another port.
ex. So If I build a 1" baffle and make the port 12" long instead of 11" long...Will I get a lower tunning?
Is it flared on the outside? The only problem I'm seeing is your going to have two flares face to face so the port will have a larger diameter at that point...could have some weird effects.

Both ends are flared. The port as of now is attached to the box. Basically All I will be doing making a double baffle (if you will) for the port, instead of the whole front piece.

You still didn't address my concern...your port is going to be flared going in, then it's going to flare out then flare back in at your joint, then finally flare out inside the box. Fairly sure that's cause for concern, you want the port to be uniform diameter internally then flared only at the ends...

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I have this port
268-352_s.jpg

The flared part in the back is a smaller flare than the front flare. The front flare has 4 screw holes which attach it to the opening, like a terminal cup. The MDF ring I'm planning on making is going to be the same diameter as the existing hole in the box now, just raised. Sorry if I don't understand

your thinking is a little off bubba, he is wanting to run 1 port, not joints in it other than the ones at the flares and tubes, he is just wanting to move the mount for the port 1-5 inches off of the front of the box with a solid baffle,

and you will notice a difference in a drop from 32 to 29 will it be insane probably not, but it could be worth trying, if it turns out to not be worth it you could aways change it back

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.