"Expert" friend suggests mono amp for system volume increase

Shroom0205

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Hawaii
My goal was to Make my car louder. My Buddy said he knew what he was doing when I went to get an amplifier for my car. With his guidance i purchased a mono 1200watt amp. I now know i should have got a 2 or 4 or 5 channel amp, but I'm left with the question can I use this amp to increase the volume on my speakers still or do I just take the 200 dollar hit and get a proper amp. I know i have plenty of other options but I just why to know if the amp I have can be used to accomplish my goal of higher volume. Thank you in advance.

Oh Yea its a cheap walmart amp by jensen so I doubt it's full range.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
Mono amps are usually for running subwoofers.
Are you trying to add an aftermarket amp to your stock speakers to make them louder?
I don't suggest it
Maybe you should post exactly what equipment you have and exactly what you would like to accomplish

Shroom0205

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Hawaii
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My goal was to Make my car louder. My Buddy said he knew what he was doing when I went to get an amplifier for my car. With his guidance i purchased a mono 1200watt amp. I now know i should have got a 2 or 4 or 5 channel
Mono amps are usually for running subwoofers.
Are you trying to add an aftermarket amp to your stock speakers to make them louder?
I don't suggest it
Maybe you should post exactly what equipment you have and exactly what you would like to accomplish
Well, the first thing I said was what I'm trying to accomplish. I just want my music to be louder in my car. I'm not an audio enthusiast so quality isn't a priority (to an extent)I'm sorry for not posting what I have I thought I did because I posted it somewhere else. I have a stock head unit which I'm trying to keep, stock speakers, an aftermarket mono amp, and a subwoofer. Ideally I want to increase volume without spending another penny(though I plan to upgrade in the future). I'm making this up but something like plugging all speakers into the mono amp=decimals or some kind of quick fix. As it stands I've spent like 500 bucks (installed) on a system and my goal hasn't been accomplished. Thank you for replying.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
Simple answer is no, you can’t connect all of your speakers to the mono amplifier.
The second problem is that if you buy a amplifier for your stock speakers they are not going to get much louder. In most cases you would be better off buying aftermarket speakers before adding more power.

Reactions: Shroom0205

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
I've reread this thread several times and I still don't get it. Your stock head unit and stock speakers aren't gonna get any louder bro. Put an amp on them and it'll get a lot quieter.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
5,000+ posts
Jun 8, 2018
Kentucky
Remove the muffler?

Su ck it up, use the mono amp and buy a subwoofer to use it with. Buy a 4 channel amp and some aftermarket speakers and power them with the 4 channel. Your buddy just made you either have to eat the money from the mono amp or has caused you to begin a full stereo upgrade. The upgrade will achieve your goal. Budget yourself, buy piece by piece if you have to then when you have it all on hand, install everything. Make your buddy do it and DON'T pay him. ;)

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Ideally I want to increase volume without spending another penny
Not gonna happen.

You can use a monoblock for mids but it must be a full range monoblock. Done it many times. You will lose your stereo sound and no fade or left/right balance.

Reactions: ThxOne

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
Jensen doesn’t make a full range mono block.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
You have a mono amp and a subwoofer.
Just hook them up, you will of course need a LOC or a DSP to run the amp off your stock HU .
Everyone starting out in this hobby does it in stages and subs are usually the first stage.
You can probably get away with getting a 2 channel full range amp and a set of components for the front doors later on but thats bare minimum.
The initial setup up is the most expensive part but after that it gets easier since you already have the "foundation" in place.
This is not a cheap hobby but you have to be patient and build it slowly.
If at all possible stop shopping at Walmart .
There are good deals to be had on good equipment if you look online.
Just ask, there is no shortage of opinions about what equipment to use on this site.

Shroom0205

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Hawaii
Thanks guys for answering. So okay, I have to yake a hit on this one, but what do I do to increase the volume. As of now I have stock head unit, stock speakers, mono amp, and a subwoofer. I'm gravitating towards new head unit because Microsoft sync is no longer supported and I have many complaints about it. So the very next thing I just want raw volume. Will the head unit do this or do I need 2nd amp?

Shroom0205

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Hawaii
Simple answer is no, you can’t connect all of your speakers to the mono amplifier.
The second problem is that if you buy a amplifier for your stock speakers they are not going to get much louder. In most cases you would be better off buying aftermarket speakers before adding more power.
Would new speakers automatically increase volume out put or do I need both? Is there any one thing I can buy to increase the volume?

Shroom0205

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Hawaii
Remove the muffler?

Su ck it up, use the mono amp and buy a subwoofer to use it with. Buy a 4 channel amp and some aftermarket speakers and power them with the 4 channel. Your buddy just made you either have to eat the money from the mono amp or has caused you to begin a full stereo upgrade. The upgrade will achieve your goal. Budget yourself, buy piece by piece if you have to then when you have it all on hand, install everything. Make your buddy do it and DON'T pay him. ;)
He needs to stay away from my car. He was careless with routing. I did all the wiring. Thinking back all he did was suggest the wrong amp. That's legit 100% all he did lol

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
A new headunit could get you some more volume depending on what you are replacing and what you are installing in its place.

Same with just swapping speakers. Could be louder. Could not be. Depends on what equipment. Most car speakers are super low power to work well with the factory amp. So replacing them with higher power speakers isn't going to make it any louder on the same power.

Headunit is always the first thing to replace though as its the source of everything.

Reactions: Shroom0205

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
My goal was to Make my car louder. My Buddy said he knew what he was doing when I went to get an amplifier for my car. With his guidance i purchased a mono 1200watt amp. I now know i should have got a 2 or 4 or 5 channel amp, but I'm left with the question can I use this amp to increase the volume on my speakers still or do I just take the 200 dollar hit and get a proper amp. I know i have plenty of other options but I just why to know if the amp I have can be used to accomplish my goal of higher volume. Thank you in advance.

Oh Yea its a cheap walmart amp by jensen so I doubt it's full range.
If you want to get loud cheaply, the best way to do that is to make your own box. Cheap woofers will perform better than people think, if the enclosure is proper.

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
Would new speakers automatically increase volume out put or do I need both? Is there any one thing I can buy to increase the volume?
Adding some dynamat or speaker baffles will help with both output/efficiency and clarity. I'd start there. If you decide to upgrade gear later those products will still offer some benefit.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I agree LOL. Doesn’t seem like your buddy knows anything. But maybe this is a sign to get in the car audio game!

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
OP, I can help you do a full setup if you want, or give you advice. I know a ton of different brands, there's really good stuff out there for your money that you can maybe get louder than you think. I've crapped on people with 2 Q power 15's.

Shroom0205

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Hawaii
A new headunit could get you some more volume depending on what you are replacing and what you are installing in its place.

Same with just swapping speakers. Could be louder. Could not be. Depends on what equipment. Most car speakers are super low power to work well with the factory amp. So replacing them with higher power speakers isn't going to make it any louder on the same power.

Headunit is always the first thing to replace though as its the source of everything.

Okay awesome thank you. I'm aiming towards mid tier to low because like I said I'm not really savy in the audio world (obviously). Any numbers I need to worry about? Like will 300 watts from the head unit blow up the Walmart sub in the back. if I just get decent speakers and a decent head unit will that accomplish my goal of my ears ringing everytime I leave the car? My genre of choice of heavy metal. Double base, electric guitar, deep angry vocals and cliff does something with the bass guitar I hear. Thanks again for all the help boys!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds