Ethical traders Vs Scamming pondscum traders

Prowler573
5,000+ posts

R.I.P. Gossamer!!
I have dedicated much thinking here of late about the scamming that has gotten such "Front & Center" attention recently on our forum. ConcernedMember has an interesting posting signature containing some sound advice in this regard and several of our moderators have seen fit to take various steps to eliminate some members with known abhorrant trading practices as well as attempt to minimize the occurrence of future scammers. These steps include (but are not limited to) several threads that hopefully will be both read and comprehended by everyone as well as enacting new rules governing thread creation and posting in the different Classifieds subforums. (see the stickied threads in the Classifieds for further details)

A random sampling (well, not really random at all...I just took the first twenty) of threads in the Buyer/Seller Feedback section reveals sixteen of the twenty threads used for this exceedingly unorthodox research to be traders on one side or the other of a transaction who were pleased with the results of their trade(s). This tells us two things: (1) There are some people who are inable to make negative trader feedback threads in the correct subforum. And (2) That equates to 80% or 8 of every 10. While not a horrible number it certainly leaves room for improvement.

The bottom line here is that what that tells us is that there are many more reputable traders who have solid selling practices to be found in this kind of setting than there are those who are just looking for a victim. A small amount of diligence on the part of the prospective buyer can help us improve that percentage considerably. Dont be a victim!!! So, I have decided to attempt to impart some basic guidelines for people contemplating a trade of any kind with someone from this forum or any other online person-to-person trade.

I know these guidelines to work from personal experience. I'm a bit of an addict on eBay and the only thing that keeps me from spending much more money there than I already do is the simple lack of discretionary funds to blow. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I have yet to get scammed once on eBay or elsewhere and I genuinely feel this is due, in large part, to me being a stickler for certain things. If in any way a trade doesn't meet with the criteria that I require? Then I move on to the next deal. I'm sure over the long haul I have missed some if not many really outstanding deals. Fine. So be it. I would prefer to occasionally miss a great deal than have someone rip me off even once, wouldn't you?

Here we go ~ please excuse yet another of my overlong, uber-wordy posts. This one is for good reason, I promise. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

1) Know your seller

Find out as much as you possibly can about the person you are considering making a purchase from. Doing business of this nature online isn't nearly the same as buying from the fella down the block who isn't incredibly (impossibly) inconvenient to go talk with if the item isn't all it is cracked up to be. If the trade you involve yourself in, whether it be borne from a post on www.CarAudio.com or elsewhere, fails to be what it is advertised to be your available avenues of recourse after the fact are considerably limited in comparison to buying from a local B&M store or something akin to that. Remember and believe what your grandmother likely told you more than once as you were growing up: "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure." Sage advice, indeed.

Check their feedback. Talk to their previous trading partners to see how their experience with your potential seller ended up. If possible have a look at the kinds of things the seller has sold in the past. If someone has a history of selling $10, $15, or $30 items and all of a sudden they pop up wanting to move something that goes for $1,500 or more that could be good reason for a red flag to go up in the back of your mind. (Not all the time, mind you, but it would be good reason to be cautious at the very least)

Also research not only the feedback that has been left for your seller have a look at the feedback left by your seller. The things someone has to say about the people that have bought from them can be very telling about how they choose to conduct theirselves during a trade. If there are instances of negative feedback have a look at how the seller responded to said negatives and what, if any, resolution was reached ultimately. People are people. One of the unavoidable foibles of the human condition is an inability to please every person every time. Eventually one will run across someone who wants to whine and complain regardless of there being any actual fault that can be attributed to the seller. How situations such as this are responded to/resolved can also be very indicative of a person's true character. Hopefully you are getting the idea that doing as much homework on your seller as is possible can make huge inroads towards avoiding getting ripped off. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2) Do not be afraid to ask questions.

If there is anything about any given item that you are not completely sure about then ask! Ask 1 question. Ask 10. Ask 100. No, I am not suggesting that you be a nuisance and make the seller want to block your communications but as well do not be afraid to ask as many questions are necessary for you to completely understand what it is you're trying to buy. If your seller is legit and genuinely wants to make a sale they will be happy to give over any information they may have. An ethical seller wants the buyer to be as much or more happy than the seller once the trade is done. No matter how good a deal may be on paper if the item isn't something that truly fills the buyer's needs then ultimately they will still be unhappy. Ask as many questions as you feel are needed to ensure that what you're buying will do what you need done.

Bear in mind that if you do feel you need some questions answered regarding any given item(s) and your seller isn't forthcoming with the information then that should be a huge red flag to you and chances are it isn't a deal that you want to involve yourself in. Think: jeremyzach and the Viper monoblock amp he sold here on the forum. He repeatedly dodged requests for pictures of the amp he was selling. The buyer went ahead and proceeded with the purchase and eventually, upon taking receipt of the amp he had purchased, became exceedingly unhappy with the deal. Yes, the amp worked so that was a plus, but cosmetically that poor old Viper had seen much better days. It was considerably less than what it had been advertised to be. It's your money, after all. Do not feel as if you are being an imposition wanting to know exactly what it is that you are spending it on. Again, an ethical seller will not take issue with you wanting clarification on any of the details. A shady trader will give you the runaround if you are asking questions that will expose their lack of honesty.

3) Know your item(s)

This is just as essential to a positive conclusion being reached in any given transaction. Once you find something (or several somethings) that strike your fancy / suit your needs / whatever the motivation to make that purchase may be do all the research on that item or items that you can. Find out what it sold for new. Find out what its relative worth is now if it's a used item. Feeling as if you got a good (or at least decent) deal goes a long way to overall "transaction satisfaction." Be aware, however, that once the deal is sealed and/or finished your window of opportunity to complain about the price has long since been closed. Do not agree/commit to buying X item at the total cost of Y dollars and then later down the road complain that "But I found it for THIS amount over on so-n-so source ~ why did you rip me off?!?" If you initially agree to making a purchase at any price then at least in that moment in time you felt the cost of admission was fair. Please do not make your seller the victim of Buyer's Remorse once the deal is done. It isn't that seller's fault if you are a compulsive impulse shopper. Do not treat him or her like it is after the fact.

4) Use common sense and trust your gut

C'mon, guys and gals....this is the practice of free enterprise and open commerce, not quantum physics! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and has water rolling down its back? Chances are it's a duck. On the flipside of that same coin, however, regardless of how trite it may be the old adage "If it looks/sounds too good to be true then most likely it is" still holds true.

If someone with no known history on the forum pops up with a JL 1000/1 for $200 but they have no references on here or any other forum, no eBay feedback, or provides no pictures of the amp to indicate that they actually have one in their possession then most likely it is going to be a really bad idea to send that person your $200. On the other hand if you need some wiring or related accessories then you can feel safe buying from FRITO. If you need a decent deal on an entry-level USAmps then flakko's your man. Looking for a Rainbow component set? Have a quick chat with 6spdcoupe. My point is that there are regular participants on the forum that you could safely place blind faith in and not get screwed over. Other instances should be evaluated on a case by case basis and see what your gut tells you. Remember what I said previously ~ I would rather miss out on a good deal several times than get completely ripped off even once. Wouldn't you???

/rant.

If it saves only 1 single person from getting wrongly separated from their hard-earned cash it did its job IMO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Absolutely. Its actually quite useful for those that actually check it rather than just seeing the number.

I haven't been nearly so active on the forum here of late as I would prefer to be, sadly, but currently it simply cannot be avoided.

That being said in those occasional instances that I have been able to be here recently I keep finding threads, some old and some new, regarding trades that went without both parties involved being satisfied with the outcome of said trades.

The holiday season, unfortunately, as well as emphasizing the absolute best facets of human nature in some situations also brings out the complete worst in those dregs of humanity that see fit to prey on people's good nature.

With Christmas '06 (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever holiday you and yours may celebrate) rapidly approaching the perceived opportunities to get that "Ooo, whatta deal!" will increase dramtically and most will pan out to be nothing more than scams. Online trading, as a whole, having gained much more momentum than was ever anticipated originally when the concept was first introduced, brings along with it the massively increased chance for dishonest folk to ply their trade with increased anonymity.

Like I said in the opening post to this thread:

Dont be a victim!

Please, before making any trade online go over the tips available both here and elsewhere if you're not particularly experienced with making a purchase in such a venue.

That is all.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am currently doing a trade right now with Jcee. I think he's a good guy from talking on the phone with him, and see the pics with his s/n in them. I think this will pull through great. I am shipping my 2 Kicker CVR12s and the Memphis Amp out this morning and then he'll send me the kicker L7 and kicker amp. Hopefully it goes through. Thanks for the warning and advice on here.

-Sean-

i am also setting up a trade with jcee. He's shipping first once i recieve the amps i'll ship him my hifonics. He does seem to be a legit honest seller/buyer

yes, this is true, i am doing trades with both of these guys. i feel confidient that i can trust these guys and things will go smoothly, so everyones happy.

If you need a decent deal on an entry-level USAmps then flakko's your man. Looking for a Rainbow component set? Have a quick chat with 6spdcoupe. My point is that there are regular participants on the forum that you could safely place blind faith in and not get screwed over.
first off, nice post.

second, while i agree with the above comment, take for instance HCCAfan....he had a lot of good transactions, then started dicking people over //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

first off, nice post.
second, while i agree with the above comment, take for instance HCCAfan....he had a lot of good transactions, then started dicking people over //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
That's a good point as well. Shane had a more-than-solid selling reputation here as well as in other venues for a great long while and then out of nowhere it all went to hell in a handbasket. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The real bottom line to this is that when you're dealing with someone you've never met face-to-face and likely never will there are inherent risks involved that are purely unavoidable. Anyone can screw someone else and anyone can get screwed. There's no 100% guarantee against it. You cannot completely eliminate it but there are steps you can take to safeguard against it as best you can.

There’s something that I’ve only just realized hasn’t even really been talked about here but most assuredly plays a part of this discussion. That would be acceptable behavior when you’re on the selling side of a transaction!!!

So – to that end here are a few ideas to please keep in mind when someone else decides to trust you with their hard-earned money for something you’re offering for sale. If there is anything pertinent that someone feels I have missed here please feel free to add it to the thread at your leisure.

(A) Be available and willing to answer any questions a prospective buyer may have. If there is something someone is unclear about your odds of making that sale to them increase exponentially if you’re willing to take the time to explain anything that could be confusing or unclear to them. Now I’m not talking about plainly ignorant questions such as “What VC configuration are those subs?” when you’ve plainly stated in your ad that they are *insert appropriate information here*

(B) Take plenty of clear pictures. You may know just what kind of shape an item is in because you own it. However, those people who are potential buyers viewing your FS thread may not be so closely associated with the item or items you’re trying to move. Help them out and don’t simply tell them what sort of shape the gear is in – show them! Additionally PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make certain that any flaws in the item are fully described in accurate detail. Not everyone takes issue with buying somewhat flawed gear so long as it will still perform the function for which they would buy it. But ANY buyer is going to want to know just what it is they’re buying it before spending their money. If it is in BNIB condition then good! If it has (X,Y, or Z) wrong with it, though, make certain that you include that in your item description and if possible take pics of that as well.

© Be clear and fully state your selling policies along with the gear you’re trying to move. Let possible buyers know what payment methods you accept. If you are going to add any fees for certain types of transactions then make certain that such information is available up front. If shipping times for certain payment methods differs than the shipping times for other payment methods make those differences clear to anyone who might read your thread.

Ergo – if you’re going to charge buyers the PayPal transaction fee for accepting PayPal payments then let them know before they transmit any funds to you. If you’ll accept personal checks but will withhold shipping the bought gear until the check clears state that in your FS ad. (these examples are not to be considered all-inclusive of the possibilities of applicable situations but rather common sense examples of what I am talking about)

(D) Fully disclose what shipping method you intend to use as well as the specifics regarding that shipping method. What courier will you use? Will you purchase shipping insurance on your dime or at least make it available to the buyer at an added expense?

(E) State how long after receiving payment that you will ship and then (this is key) SHIP WITHIN THE WINDOW YOU HAVE ALLOWED YOURSELF. Once your buyer has transmitted payment in full via whatever method you accept then the vast majority of their responsibility for that transaction has been fulfilled. Now YOU have to get your lazy backside to the Post Office, the FedEx depot, the UPS store, wherever is applicable and get their gear sent out! Don’t wait two or three weeks when you happen to be going that direction and it’s convenient. Get it in the pipeline and pronto!

(F) Package whatever gear you’re sending out safely and securely. We all know that there are two types of package handlers at the various commercial couriers. There are those that take pride in their job and handle the packages they see day to day with kid gloves as if those packages contain their own grandmother’s most valued and fragile treasures. On the flipside of that coin, however, are the ones that simply show up to collect a check and show little thought or consideration to the stuff they have their hands on. (we’ve all heard the horror stories and seen pictorial evidence of the same) It is YOUR responsibility as the seller to ensure that should the worst case scenario end up being what happens to your package while in transit that there isn’t any steps you could have taken beforehand to make sure that the shipped item(s) arrive safely at their destination.

(G) After the gear has been sent out get whatever information is applicable into the hands of your buyer quickly. Sometimes a buyer will be somewhat (and understandably) nervous about having just sent over any amount of money to someone they have never and likely will never meet for some gear they have never seen/experienced in person. Please be aware that it goes a looong way to settle them when they receive an email containing shipping specifics for the gear they just bought. Do you have a tracking or Delivery/Signature Confirmation number? Do you have shipping insurance claims information? Do you have an estimated arrival date? Well, since all of that info is applicable to equipment that you no longer own please forward it to the person it now belongs to! Don’t wait a week or three – within a day or two of getting that information yourself you should have been able to find (or make) the time to take a moment and send that information along to the concerned party.

Most of these items are purely common sense suggestions that shouldn’t have to be publicly posted on an online discussion board but sadly it appears more often than not that common sense isn’t at all common. I am well aware that I have very strict standards set for myself as far as selling practices go and that adherence to said standards isn’t something I could (or would) reasonably expect anyone else to follow. But, at the risk of sounding incredibly arrogant (which isn’t at all my intent) I do truly think that acting in accordance to those examples set by the more trusted sellers on this forum as well as other popular sites of this variety isn’t anything that should be discounted out of hand. Personally my buyers get their gear shipped NO LATER than one business day after my receipt of payment in full excepting the possible exceptions which I make very clear in my FS ads (such as acceptance of a personal check, etc). On some occasions I have managed to ship out the purchased item(s) the same day I get paid. Additionally regardless of which situation it falls under (the day of payment or the first business day after) on the same day the gear gets shipped the buyer will have all of the information I can provide them such as Delivery Confirmation numbers, insurance coverage amounts and claims information, proof that the gear was sent to the address the buyer provided me ,etc. Consequently I haven’t received any blemishes on my selling record whether it be here on CA.com, eBay, or elsewhere as I haven’t exhibited any behavior to warrant it. C’mon, guys and gals, someone was good enough to buy the gear that you’re selling for whatever reason(s) you’re selling so take that extra moment and make sure you return that kindness by making it clear (via the above methods) that you value their business!

More to be added as it occurs to me…

Post #40 was my first post on this forum in 2006. NOICE //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Prowler573

5,000+ posts
R.I.P. Gossamer!!
Prowler573
Northwest Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date