Equalizers: Recommendations?

tobz
10+ year member

Independant Thinker
MN
Hello,

Does anyone have any credible recommendations on equalizers? I am running a set of 6.5" comps up front and a sub in the trunk. I would like to get access to a mic or RTA setup to tweak my system. Right now I am running a flat response through my H/U, and instead of using any EQ features in that, I would prefer a decent trunk mount parametric. I am looking for one unit to tweak both my comps and the sub. I am willing to spend up to $300 or so, depending on what's out there. I am also thinking of a line driver, but that will be after my eq project. I want to achieve a near-flat response, and then move from there depending on my personal taste.

My current setup sounds decent, but I know that A: It's not truley flat after the drivers get done with it, and B: It could sound better. I am very lacking on the vocals at the moment.

Thanks for any input on this topic. Looks don't matter that much, but my final system will run all Hifonics amps, so anything with a brushed aluminum look would be ideal.

Thanks for any input.

T.J.

You should work on your install before worrying about an EQ. Work on proper deadening and killing resonances, proper speaker aiming/placement, killing reflections, new crossover points (if needed), proper balancing and level matching between mid/tweeter/sub, etc etc.

EQ should be the very, very, very last thing you do and only used after everything else is properly done. And remember, EQ's should be used mainly to lower peaks and not raise valleys in the frequency response. EQ is not a band-aid, but a "final touch" if you will.

And honestly, unless you are trying to get a high score for RTA points in a sound quality competition, you shouldn't worry about "flat response"....worry about setting it up so it sounds good to your ear. Majority of people wouldn't actually like the sound of a "flat response curve", nor is it necessary for a non-competition daily driver.

Well, I hate to say this, but just go on ebay, and buy a really cheap one. Something under $20, including shipping. Nothing special, just an EQ. Work with it until you get something you like, and if it doesn't do it for you, than an EQ isn't your thing, and you're only out $20.

They add such a nice look to a car. Friends are so amazed that you have this little EQ device in your dashboard, strictly for music! Wow!

Thanks for all of the useless advice, other than the AudioControl recommendations part. I wasn't asking for anyone to critique an install that they haven't seen nor heard. That is why I hate even coming to this forum for advice. I love it when people assume the thread starter knows nothing.

"You don't need a flat response.. blah blah"

"Just get an useless $20 one on ebay so it looks cool.."

Ever think about saying something like.. "I have use a Brand X Model Y and I really liked it. Lots of good options, and looks neat."

I'll just have to rely on someone at a car audio shop I guess.

-T.J.

1) When did I critique your install?? All I said was to make sure you have already done all the proper steps, because as you pointed out, I can't see your install, so I have no idea if all those things are already done or not.

2) You obviously have no idea about frequency response or it's effect on the sound you perceive

3) Go ahead and waste your money on something you may not need.....if you are too ignorant to see that the advice was aimed at actually teaching you something, then that's your problem

I suggest the Alpine ERA-G320 equalizer. Almost no noise and full control over your music with lots of presets and user preset options. It is no longer made but there are always ones available on eBay. You can mount them in several places in your car. Mine is mounted in my glove box. The average price I've seen in about $225 on eBay. I paid $500 for mine brand new in 98.

Make sure the following are included: The brain, wiring harness, controller (display), ai-net cable (mainly for connection to Alpine headunit), and cable which connects the controller to the brain. The installation instructions and manual would be great too. I have seen the manual on the net, but I don't recall about the installation instructions.

This could be an answer to boost your fronstage, if you have the room for it of course - My brother recently got it- pretty cheap too....I personally like to be able to on the fly adjustments, a finger reach away- He has Rainbow fronstage (4" comps/6.5 rears with 40rms x4 of MTX shyt power and you'd swear it was 100rms if you didn't know)

9V rms out, 20db headroom;)

671482_5_full.jpg

671482_9_full.jpg

I myself am waiting for Arc to release the XEQ, which will consist of the same, plus subwoofer controls, and a clipping indicator light built on the face of the unit-

i like that..."7-band parametric equalizer" and you have fixed frequencies...somebody dropped the ball on that one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

WTF are you people talking about???????

get you facts straight......

'In a graphic equalizer the center frequencies and associated bands are fixed with only the amplitude adjustable. A parametric equalizer allows the user to select the center frequency and bandwidth to be affected by an amplitude adjustment. In this way, the parametric equalizer offers the maximum amount of flexibility and customizability versus a graphic equalizer. Generally, a graphic equalizer is adjustable at a large number of frequencies (as many as 30 center frequencies) to allow fairly precise control over the frequency response while a parametric equalizer only adjusts a few areas of the frequency, which are carefully chosen.'

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/parametric-eq.asp

WTF are you people talking about???????get you facts straight......

'In a graphic equalizer the center frequencies and associated bands are fixed with only the amplitude adjustable. A parametric equalizer allows the user to select the center frequency and bandwidth to be affected by an amplitude adjustment. In this way, the parametric equalizer offers the maximum amount of flexibility and customizability versus a graphic equalizer. Generally, a graphic equalizer is adjustable at a large number of frequencies (as many as 30 center frequencies) to allow fairly precise control over the frequency response while a parametric equalizer only adjusts a few areas of the frequency, which are carefully chosen.'

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/parametric-eq.asp
Where is the Q adjustments? Where can the user select the frequency? A parametric EQ is for fixing very small problems in frequency response which means those frequencies could be anywhere. Read up on what a graphic EQ is and you will see that that EQ looks to be a graphic. Unless there are lots of hidden stuff, that is a graphic eq.

http://www.rane.com/swf/pe17fp.swf

^ that is a real parametric eq. Yours doesnt look like that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Where is the Q adjustments? Where can the user select the frequency? A parametric EQ is for fixing very small problems in frequency response which means those frequencies could be anywhere. Read up on what a graphic EQ is and you will see that that EQ looks to be a graphic. Unless there are lots of hidden stuff, that is a graphic eq.
who the f u c k cares what you assume it is?

get an Arc tech on the phone and come back with some facts- otherwise your ASSUMPTIONS are worthless and are bringing confusion to the thread

you obvioulsly did not read the paragraph above, seems to me you have the meaning of a prametric and graphic EQ backwards

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.