EQUALIZATION

Fletcher Munson curve (slightly modified) seems to work best in my ride/setup....its a trial and error process

REW & calibrated RTA

Last edited:
What head unit you have and what kind of analysis is that ?
Pioneer AVH series. It does EQ plus time correction. I dunno' what curve they have it apply, but it sounds pretty solid from the get-go.
I have not done an REW on the system yet. One day...

I use the ioneer mic, EQ w/time correction in the my car that has a pioneer DEH-80PRS HU, it works pretty darn good. If you have the $$, the Audison DSP units are really stellar. and yes, any of these options require the use of a mic and in the case of DSP's, a computer laptop (preferably over using ones phone) to view results an tweak accordingly. In any scenario, start with flat and tweak to your liking and speaker type. I'm using the new Pioneer Z series and the alloy tweeter cones are exceptional (like them better than my $500 dollar Focals). DSP has made using metal domes exceptional again!

Last edited:
I do it by ear. Do a phase/time alignment first. Then I play a 20-20khz sine sweep, which will quickly identify any major problem areas. Then I switch to 1/3rd octave banded pink noise tracks and equalize for flat response one channel at a time. Usually takes 3-4 times per channel. Once both channels are flat, I balance for proper staging.

I do it by ear. Do a phase/time alignment first. Then I play a 20-20khz sine sweep, which will quickly identify any major problem areas. Then I switch to 1/3rd octave banded pink noise tracks and equalize for flat response one channel at a time. Usually takes 3-4 times per channel. Once both channels are flat, I balance for proper staging.
How do you make a phase alignment ? My DSP comes with several options for phase (11.25°, 22.5°, 45°, etc), but I do not understand how it works

You're a "better ear than I" if you can do the phase alignment by ear. While I know that there is an issue, I'm not sure what it is until the computer tells me so. That's jus me though.

How do you make a phase alignment ? My DSP comes with several options for phase (11.25°, 22.5°, 45°, etc), but I do not understand how it works
There is some disagreement about phase vs time alignment. Some people would say you don't need phase if you have time alignment.

Phase alignment is pretty easy. Down load a phase alignment track and keep adjusting until you get the best center image. I always do each driver pair - ie do the tweeters, themselves, then mid bass drivers by themselves. Then play the full set of speakers together. If they sound out of phase as a full set, then flip one pair (either the midbasses or the tweeters) 180 degrees.

Good luck. FYI, you need to phase/time alignment first or you'll run into issues trying to equalize.

Just started using DSP so that is good to know. Not every system I help with has DSP and softeware to check that out. Looked online, is there a CD or app (download) you recomend?

Last edited:
Just started using DSP so that is good to know. Not every system I help with has DSP and softeware to check that out. Looked online, is there a CD or app (download) you recomend?
My test tracks are ancient- the old Iasca SQ competitors disc & My Disc by Sheffield labs. Autosound 2000 had 3-4 disc series, and My Disc is one of them. There's alot of them out there, but as auto tuning becomes more reliable, I imagine tuning will become a lost art. If you get the right disc's they have liner notes telling you how to use the tracks, so it's easy to teach yourself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

nelpastel

CarAudio.com Recruit
nelpastel
Costa Rica
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views