epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

There is a huge gain in strength when you turn anything into a monocoque-like structure.
Also, have you ever tried breathing very fast or hard through certain fabrics or whatever and had a tough time, but when you breath easy and slow through it there's no problem? That's the concept behind aperiodic membranes, they become more resistive to higher velocities. MDF is porous, period. There are losses built into modeling programs that acknowledge facts like these.
So is a ported box breathing slow or fast? And it has a huge hole it anyway, so I highly doubt it makes a diff...

As for strength, I've yet to have a box come apart, birch or MDF and I don't do any of that **** to them. My last wall had single layer panels in several places and had no problem doing a 60+...

So is a ported box breathing slow or fast? And it has a huge hole it anyway, so I highly doubt it makes a diff...
As for strength, I've yet to have a box come apart, birch or MDF and I don't do any of that **** to them. My last wall had single layer panels in several places and had no problem doing a 60+...
but as for the density of wood compared to steel, glass, granite. ect.. wood alone will absorb more of the sound wave then heavy or more dense material. .

Approximate weights per cubic foot:

mdf - 48lbs

epoxy resin - 130lbs

concrete - 150lbs

glass - 162lbs

steel - 489 lbs

see where I'm going with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
also note that the Rockwell hardness test of mdf is 3 while resin is 110

I think the key to this consists of three things.

1- density

2- hardness

3- surface finish

I wasn't really talking about how fast the driver forces air in and out of a vent (which is a wide open area, not was I was asking you to picture), I was mainly addressing structural integrity and sealed enclosures to discuss the principal idea here, MDF being porous or not. My guess is if you wanted to get into surface roughness, drag coefficients for the various types, and wind speed as it pertains to laminar air flow, you would still be a off a bit in your thinking.

I wasn't really talking about how fast the driver forces air in and out of a vent (which is a wide open area, not was I was asking you to picture), I was mainly addressing structural integrity and sealed enclosures to discuss the principal idea here, MDF being porous or not. My guess is if you wanted to get into surface roughness, drag coefficients for the various types, and wind speed as it pertains to laminar air flow, you would still be a off a bit in your thinking.
what is your degree?? lmao

now thats going into the direction I was thinking with coefficient and wind speed.. if were adding 45's might as well add glass too

smooth air flow with a hard reflective surface

lol

But then you won't learn how to yourself! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

lol
But then you won't learn how to yourself! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
ciaonzo seals his epistemic knowledge with ambiguous responses!

But true.. I need to have a couple nights with diyma.com

I basically have the concept of cross over points plus slopes.. master that, then T/A .. Then tearing my car apart, and selling some lesser quality audio stuff!

ciaonzo seals his epistemic knowledge with ambiguous responses!
But true.. I need to have a couple nights with diyma.com

I basically have the concept of cross over points plus slopes.. master that, then T/A .. Then tearing my car apart, and selling some lesser quality audio stuff!
Sorry, I hope you don't feel put off. It really is fun tuning and tweaking, you will love it. Even after you get it right you'll keep changing it, lol. They call us tweakers for a reason.

Sorry, I hope you don't feel put off. It really is fun tuning and tweaking, you will love it. Even after you get it right you'll keep changing it, lol. They call us tweakers for a reason.
Im fine haha. I think it will be fun!

heres a few pictures of glass enclosures and marble enclosures

oadh0n_zps14a9ee54.jpg

7wqfbxc_zpse5ca0d3f.jpg

qd2oq0lxhyl9r4z66mtv_zps5d0773f5.jpg

06uisyvj0650xw7f7pi_zpsdbadd186.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

akadj

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
akadj
Edmonton Alberta CANADA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date