epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

lol, Im going a bit overboard with my build, but Im using liquid nails, course thread drywall screw, caulk, bondo (all in seams and joints), and 404 resin covering entire inside with mat covering seams and joints

lol, Im going a bit overboard with my build, but Im using liquid nails, course thread drywall screw, caulk, bondo (all in seams and joints), and 404 resin covering entire inside with mat covering seams and joints
so you added mat with 404 resin, with just 404 do you think if it flexs the resin will break or crack as 404 is the most brittle no?

have you already built this or still under construction?

Still under construction. there is a build log on here. But no I dont believe it will crack. the enclosure will be ridiculously sturdy with the other compounds as well as the 2x3 bracing Im going to be throwing in there.. it wont see much (if any) flex to allow cracking.. Also from other threads I have read, adding resin to the inside is always a good idea to contain the air that escapes (while the use of resin is debatable as far as usefulness goes). The one thread that sticks out in my mind, the OP advised everyone to place a vacuum hose on a piece of MDF and feel the air being ****** out on the opposite side.. resin will prevent the issue.

liquid nails ***** ***, use wood glue on wood. Crazy concept I know...

All the other crap you're doing is not needed, but if you feel inclined then have at it.

FG resin/mat does nothing to make a box stronger unless you lay it on 1/4" thick. Single layer is a waste of time and $$$...

As for that video, not buying into that. Static electricity perhaps. Light a candle, put a big piece of MDF in front of it, now hit the MDF with 125psi from an air compressor. Tell me if the candle blows out...

liquid nails ***** ***, use wood glue on wood. Crazy concept I know...
All the other crap you're doing is not needed, but if you feel inclined then have at it.

FG resin/mat does nothing to make a box stronger unless you lay it on 1/4" thick. Single layer is a waste of time and $$$...

As for that video, not buying into that. Static electricity perhaps. Light a candle, put a big piece of MDF in front of it, now hit the MDF with 125psi from an air compressor. Tell me if the candle blows out...
There is a huge gain in strength when you turn anything into a monocoque-like structure.
Also, have you ever tried breathing very fast or hard through certain fabrics or whatever and had a tough time, but when you breath easy and slow through it there's no problem? That's the concept behind aperiodic membranes, they become more resistive to higher velocities. MDF is porous, period. There are losses built into modeling programs that acknowledge facts like these.

i agree you want to coat the interior of the enclosure - polyester resin is sufficient, a few layers of glass at the corners can't hurt.
I agree and I know that adding a 1/4 layer of resin is a MUCH harder surface then say adding the same amount of wood. which is why it helps gain spl. I've even seen a box made entirely out of glass and some lined on the Inside with tile.. hmm maybe I should try tile?...

but.. as for resin type.. epoxy is not the same as poly.. poly is less then half the price and the chemicals require you to wear a mask and gloves.. not the same with epoxy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

akadj

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
akadj
Edmonton Alberta CANADA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date