Epicmango's 94 Accord + ASPM-1500 + Obsidian Audio 15 D4 Build Log

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
I thought I'd finally make a build thread for my first ever system I got which was completely recommended to me by caraudio.com forumers themselves.

This build was completely focused on budget slam. No extra batteries, bigger alts, ELD bypassing, just a stock 1994 Accord with a 12v 80 amp alt. I experience a little dim on full tilt being wired at 2 ohms @ 1000 watts (WAYYY before box rise, 12 volt electrical, gain settings, pre-outs from my deck) on my Audiopipe ASPM1500 watt amp. I suspect with my 12v alt I'm getting around 600-750 watts RMS running to the sub)

The box was (re)designed by ssteele18 (Who I would recommend to get a custom enclosure designed purely around your specific sub stage and needs)

* 3.1 Cubes after displacement tuned at 32hz

* Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge Wiring with KnuKonceptz 12 gauge Kord Ultra Flex OFC Speaker Wire

* Obsidian Audio 15 Dual 4 ohm

001_zps54f26177.jpg

001_zps3f516ac6.jpg

004_zpsfbe19d02.jpg

002_zpsbd7d8583.jpg

003_zps52638673.jpg

002_zpsc839a01b.jpg

001_zpsb967983d.jpg

002_zpsb3822ef8.jpg

****. Thumps. Loud. As my first system, I wouldn't have it any other way. But I would do 1 thing differently; This sub (with a good clean signal) will take around 900 watts RMS. Had I not worried about my (still) original, now 20 year old 80 amp alt, I would've gotten the Dual 2 ohm version (ESPECIALLY now with the v2 drivers out, which has better cooling) and wired down to 1 ohm 900 watts RMS. But I mean that's really not much from what I'm running now. If you can, and honestly with my situation being on a extreme polar, Try to get this sub wired too 800-900 watts to get the best delivery.

Don't make a mistake, I'm loud as ****! Even with a 12v 80 amp alt and front firing into the cabin, I've yet to hear any "high school" system get this loud, hell even some "professional systems". W3 10s, Dual 15s Dual 12s, JBL 10s, Kicker 12s, Kenwood 12s, Boss 10s (HAHA), even a Kicker L5 15 in 4 cubes on a Hifonics 1500 watt amp in the back of a bronco! People take a double look when I tell them to turn around and see how such a small amp powering such a big sub can be able to get the SPL and SQ that they hear (plus not many people expect to turn around and see a phat azz 15' sub staring them in the face) If your looking for that "high school thump" on a budget, I honesty cant recommend a different system that's this cheap and sound this good and get this loud. And this effect multiplies if your in a hatchback or SUV. I'm in a sedan with the rear seats down.

Obsidian Audio. Get with it. Seriously!!

I luv you Caraudio. (I might be back to revise should I deaden my trunk)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see you're still running the OA 15 I sold you... great subs for sure! And 600-700 watts is plenty for the OAs and probably safer running that amp at 2ohm anyway. The enclosure looks nice! I know a lot of people would be amazed what that "budget" sub can do.

Ah I see you're still running the OA 15 I sold you... great subs for sure! And 600-700 watts is plenty for the OAs and probably safer running that amp at 2ohm anyway. The enclosure looks nice! I know a lot of people would be amazed what that "budget" sub can do.
Yup Mitch86, this is still that OA! Thanks for selling me a no problem sub. I would totally do more transactions with you!

Regarding the sub, I am 100% satisfied with my current setup. I do know however that this sub goes have more potential

I've risen the gain slight, and put the bass boost knob on the amp to a value of 1 (out of 12), and have +1 bass boost on my deck, and full tilt it gets a little warm. Don't worry, the coils are still good, and even with all this not so good things, subs taking it in stride, which shows me this subs happy, but it can do more! I've got this sub flexing around 1.5 inches, and its rated to do another full inch of excursion.

That replaced that enclosure with a super small port right?
How do you like the improvement in comparison?
You tell me? :p

001-1.jpg

001_zps3f516ac6.jpg

Bigger port, more breathing room, and upgraded speaker wire (from 18 gauge to OFC 12 gauge)

My initial thoughts...

Its noticeably louder but no major gains, most at 2-4 dB. The difference from my last box isn't amazing to be honest, I actually kind of miss the organic sound I had with my last box. This bass seems more boomy and rounder. I could hear the sub better because the port was as long as the mounting depth of the sub. Now with a much longer port bass definitely hits stronger, lows are better, and so are mids, but I miss the more organic sounding lows, now I here the sub hum more..
And whats even better is because I have a box that is an inch wider and 3 inches deeper, It makes a better and denser block in the trunk, and it absorbs rattle a lot more! I have lost almost halved my rattle with this box, so much infact that during regular sessions, I won't experience any rattle, which means I don't have to bother with some deadener. I'll only rattle when I'm tryna have a total bass fest.

But to be honest, it wasn't exactly the big difference I thought it would be. I payed $60 for the box, and I don't think it was exactly a HUGE difference that everybody said it would be. Its done, and honestly, I'm happy, but not exactly the difference I was expecting..

But hey, now I've easily got the loudest system in town. Hell my box builder was laughing once he saw how much air was moving when all the sawdust came out of the port. Honestly, for a budget system, I think this is it! I'm happy with what I have now, can't be happier.

Ah, I skimmed over that info lol.

The issue you are having with the loss of sound you are looking for is simply tuning just like the "boomy" sound as well.

I don't notice it now, those were my first impressions after 24 hours

I'm happy with my setup, although had I known the outcome of this new box, wouldn't have built a new box for it.

Wasn't a $60 change, more like $20-$30

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.