eenifinity Ref 611a, or buy Sunown 1500D?

Participant count
  • Participant list
The Sundown is 800 RMS @ 12 volts. At the 14.4v the alt. charges at, you will probably see closer to 950-1000.

But since you won't realistically see a perfect 14.4v after voltage drop, you'll probably get 850-900 out of the Sundown amp, and only 600 out of the Infinity. I'd say you would notice quite a difference.

Im pretty sure you have to double your power to gain a db or 3dbs. I cant remember which, but regardless you wont notice a huge difference in sound quality or loudness. Youll just toss money out the window and have a newer, shiny amp.

Im pretty sure you have to double your power to gain 3dbs. I cant remember which, but regardless you wont notice a huge difference in sound quality or loudness. Youll just toss money out the window and have a newer, shiny amp.
3 dB is a huge difference //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That's why I edited the "a db" out of your post, because it is 3 dB //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That's why I edited the "a db" out of your post, because it is 3 dB //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Ah got ya. 3db is a huge difference, but that requires doubling your power, not gaining 300 watts. I wouldnt be able to justify the money spent vs the end result when it would be barely noticeable if at all.

I went from a Hifonics 1210D @ 2 ohm (900W overrated) to a AQ 1200D (870 @ 2) and saw a huge difference, louder, deeper, and more of a voltage drop, even though the Hifi was ironically rated at more power.

Hell, I've even gone from 1.8v to 5v preouts, and noticed quite a bit of a difference.

I went from a Hifonics 1210D @ 2 ohm (900W overrated) to a AQ 1200D (870 @ 2) and saw a huge difference, louder, deeper, and more of a voltage drop, even though the Hifi was ironically rated at more power.
The difference there is the Hifonics is over rated garbage regardless of the Maxxxonics nuthuggers beliefs that it does rated power. The AQ is under rated.

The Infinity in question is clearly under rated according to the birthsheet as is the Sundown. I bet the Infinity is more SQ oriented than the Sundown is and will sound just as good if not better.

It all depends on the OP's subs, goals, and wants.

The difference there is the Hifonics is over rated garbage regardless of the Maxxxonics nuthuggers beliefs that it does rated power. The AQ is under rated.
The Infinity in question is clearly under rated according to the birthsheet as is the Sundown. I bet the Infinity is more SQ oriented than the Sundown is and will sound just as good if not better.

It all depends on the OP's subs, goals, and wants.
Not sure exactly how overrated the Hifonics was, but it was a very noticeable difference.

I wouldn't call the AQ underrated, as they are rated at 14v, but I haven't ever seen a clamp test on them.

The Infinity birth sheet reads 750, meaning that that's what it will do. The Sundown is underrated at 800, and will realistically do up to 1kW. I'm sure the two won't have any noticeable difference in quality.

EDIT: The Sundown is rated at 14v, so I fail. Realistically it will do a little more than 800W, but probably not much. I was under the assumption that all Sundown amps were rated at 12v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

c_hayhurst

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
c_hayhurst
Columbus, Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date