Eclipse sub owners please read this!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

stones
10+ year member

Sask
I previously owned a pair of Eclipse 8712.8's, they were stolen from me and since then I have tried several different brands out to see if I can find something just as good or better, so far I've had no luck, nothing I try can perform as well as they did.

My question is- What do you guys think of your Eclipses?

Does anyone have any complaints about them (besides price)?

And how do they compair to other subs you have owned?

Heres a list (in order of ownership) of the subs I've had

2 Pioneer 12inch 303series(diamond plates)

I bought these subs at futureshop for 120bucks each(canadian) and installed them in a dual 1.5cft sealed enclosure. For power I used a Pioneer PRS-X320(400watts rms at 4ohms), I wired the 2 subs at 8ohms(125watts each) and used a Pioneer DEH-46 for a HU. I thought these subs sounded really good, everyone that sat in my car would tell me how awsome my stereo sounded, The 303's had a rich, fat sounding bass that really made my techno and club tunes come alive, frequency response was all the way down to 20hz but would start to die off at around 80hz, so the subs would keep a good rythm going but woundn't hit the higher beats with any real authority. For kicks I entered in a local spl comp and was able to manage 127db with the mic perched on the passenger seat, not bad for a pair of elcheapo subs with 250watts. I tried wiring the subs for a 2ohm mono load (325watts each) to see if I could boost the output, but the subs sounded like they were about to explode so I kept them wired at 8ohms. Overall these are great budget subs.

2 Rockford Fosgate xlc's

I bought these subs at audio wharehouse for 200bucks each(CND$) and powered them with a Pioneer PRS-X720(800watts rms at 4ohms) For a source I used a Sony 750 and I mounted the subs in a dual 1.25cft enclosure and wired the subs for an 8ohm load(200watts each).I wasn't all that impressed with the xlc's, they were smooth and accurate but their output was low and they didn't go down to 20hz and I felt that they didn't have the same impact that the pioneers did, overall they proved to be good sq subs but lacked any real exitement. When I would ask my friends what they thought of of it, they would politely say "It sounds alright" it was obvious that I wasn't impressing anyone. To see how they handled some real power I wired them for a 2ohm load(500watts each), "wow!" was my first thought, the xlc's ate up everylast watt and turned it into rythm, by ear I would guess that they were putting out about 135db as clear as a bell, but rythm is all they put out, they still didn't go down to 20hz and they still didn't have much impact and after a couple hours you could smell the voice coils cooking, best keep the wattage down. Overall I think that these subs would do alright for a "posh" sq system, but will leave serious bass freaks dissapionted.

2 Eclipse 8712.8's

I bought these at Sound Affects for 300bucks each(CDN$) and powered them with the pioneer 720(800watts rms at 4ohms) for a source i used a pioneer deh-730, I used 2 boxes, a 2.6cft common chamber enclosure and a dual 1.25cft enclosure and wired the subs 8 ohm coils parrallel for a 4ohm load(400watts each). With the subs in the 2.6cft box I thought they sounded like ****, sure they hit over 140db's, but they sounded like a foghorn with nasty, resonating bass, so I put them in the dual 1.25 cft box with exellent results. The new box got rid of the nasty resonance and gave the subs some smooth manners, but for the first month they woundl'nt play low but this was due to the spider not being worked in, after the subs were broke in they covered 15 to 100hz with authority. Any type of music I played was powerful and clear, when my friends would sit in my car they wound jump when the bass kicked in and say things like "holy ****" and "wow man", these subs impressed anyone I showed them to. Personally the Eclipses would knock the wind out of my chest and make my heart skip a beat, thats just too cool. The Eclipses would play both rythm and beats at the same time to volume levels beyond 140dbs with crystal clear clarity, both smooth and aggressive with the speed and punch of 10inch subs and the output of 15s. I always got a kick out of how they would make my steering wheel shake violently and bounce my windsheild wipers off the window.

I loved these subs, I thought they were a perfect mix between sq and spl.

But they were stolen so I tried..............

2 Concept SS12's

I bought these at audio wharehouse for 299each(cdn$) I used a Concept 2002(650watts rms at 4ohms) to power them, I installed them In a dual 1.25cft box(sealed) and wired them for a 4ohm load(325watts each)and used a pioneer deh-730 for a source. I didn't like these subs at all, they had a nasty foghorn resonance, poor impact and didn't play down to 20hz that well, one of them also blew 2 weeks after installing it. I returned these subs after 3 weeks and in exchange I had audio warehouse do some fiberglass work on my kick panels. I think these subs wouldh've performed alot better in a 0.5 to a 0.8cft enclosure and probably would have played lower after being broke in, overall I don't think that their worth the money because even in the best of conditions they would never outperform the Eclipses.

2 Infinity Perfect 12.1's

I bought these at futureshop for 365each(cdn$)I used both a Concept 2002(650watts 4ohm, 950watts 2ohm) and a Concept CCD1200(800watts 2ohm, 1200watts1ohm) for an enclosure I used a dual 1.25cft box(sealed) and a 1.6cft box(sealed) and wired them at 2ohms, for a source I used the pioneer deh730. My first impression of these subs was that they were smooth and low, compared to what the Concept ss12's sounded like these kicked ass. I first had them in the dual 1.25cft box running off the 2002 amp(425watts each), although the subs played low and smooth, they had no response over 50hz and wouldn't hit barely at all, they also couldn't play over 130dbs clearly. Now after reading all the wonderful things everyone has said about these subs, I thought that maybe I was missing something, so I bought an RF 1 farad cap(150 bucks). The cap helped the transient response a little but still didn't fix the problem so I exchanged my 2002 amp for the Concept CCD1200(paying a difference of 390bucks) the ccd1200 amp made a larger improvement with a bit more clean spl but the subs still didn't hit very hard or go very loud. So I called the tech wizards at Infinity and asked them about a better box, they told me that the perfects woud provide greater output and frequency response in a 1.5 to a 2.0cft enclosure(sealed), so I had audio wharehouse build me a dual 1.6cft box(240 bucks). The bigger box did increase the frequency response and the clean spl, but still was no where near as good as the Eclipses, when my friends sat in my car they would ask "what happended to the Eclipses?' or comment on how the Eclipses sounded better. After almost 2months one of the subs blew, the glue holding the spider to the cone broke apart (a common problem for these subs). I went back to futureshop to get the sub replaced and the staff told me that they were on back order, so I waited for 2months and finally demanded that they exchange the subs for something of equal value(2 mtx thunder 8000's). If your looking for a smooth sq sub and don't need that much spl go buy the Rockford xlc's, they cost alot less.

2 MTX Thunder 8000 12's

These are the subs I exchanged the Infinity's for. I mounted them in the 1.6 cft box and a 1.25 cft box,. they sounded ok in the 1.6cft box but put out more spl than sq, the 1.25cft box sounded the best with good spl and sq. The 2 subs are getting 500watts each out of the Concept ccd1200 wired at 2ohms( I checked the wattage using a DMM). These subs sound closer to the Eclipses that any of the others mentioned, they go down to 20hz and can play up to 100hz.The difference is that they have a strong rythm and decent speed but they don't have as much impact as the Eclipses and they don't shake my steering wheel. My friends like the subs saying they "crank hard" but they still don't have the high defininition spl that the Eclipses had. Overall, these are good subs, they bump hard and have good sq, but why buy these when you could have the Eclipses for less?

This is my total sub review and comparison, I am currently in the process of saving the money to get a new pair of Eclipse 8700's.

Tell me about your eclipse experiences.

-Stones //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hey, I enjoyed your sub experiances a lot!! I was wondering why everyone thought the Infinitys were sooo great, I wasn;t too impressed with them myself. All I have ever owned have been JL and PG subs, but I have heard many others. Will you ever look into the new IDMAX 12?

Actually, I was just reading the reveiw of the Image Dynamics "MAX 12" subwoofer in car stereo review's "Mobile Entertainment". Im impressed, the last statement the reveiwer made was "If you must have the best 12-inch sub I've ever tested, then this is it.". The sub has 24mm of one way electrical excursion and a frequency responce that goes from 8hz to 120hz as flat as a board, thats better than my 8700's ever could do and my 8700's had only 18.5mm of excursion.

I have a new god- The Image Dynamics "MAX 12". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Have you actually heard it yet? I am useing 2 JL 8w3's and a phoenix gold cyclone. I might sell them both if the IDMAX's can out perform them, and they would be worth the upgrade.

Your set-up sounds pretty impressive already, not many people have the honour of owning a cyclone.

I haven't heard the max12's yet, I don't think any of the shops in town carry Image Dynamics, but judging from the data in the test results these subs are the "cats ass".

Xmax(one way)-24.2mm

Sensitivity-86.9db

Vas-2.2cft

Re-2.2ohms

Qts-0.56

Qes-0.70

Qms-2.91

Fs-30hz

Minimum Impedance-3.3ohms at 83hz(coils parrallel)

Frequency response-8hz to 120hz(+/-2.3db)

Average spl with test tones(one woofer, 1.5cft box, large reference amp) At 10% distortion limit(the point where the human ear can start to detect clipping)-

From 25 to 62HZ, 125.1db. From 10 to 62hz, 124.5; maximum, 130.1db at 40hz .

Max spl with bass tracks-

Average, 129.8db; Maximum, 130.3

(this is with one 12inch woofer with the mic placed on the seat!!!!)

Compare these figures with other subs and you will see why im impressed.

I too had my 12's stolen and i replaced them with Fusion Jonah Lomu's 12 inch with a ma audio HC2502 amp and have not regret that decision at all,because the base even better than before.I will never go back to the Eclipse again, Don't take me wrong they're awsome speakers but my Fusion's kicks some serious butt. You should give it some thought.Best of luck

1-I'm from saskatoon, sask.

2-The fusions are unavailable in my province and i don't like ordering through the internet because of lack of tech support, I.E.- if the sub blows, its easier to go to the place you bought it from to have it replaced, as opposed to sending it away and waiting a few months for a new one while paying outrageous shipping charges.

The new Beyond Audio X-ones look like promising candidates for my new subs with 30mm Xmax(one way, 2.5inch peak to peak) and a price tag under 300bucks(CND$), I just have to find out how well they cover the 50 to 100hz range.

Beyond Audio is based right in my home town, so i can deal directly with the man who makes the subs.

Heres some specks and prices-

Canadian Pricing

The X-ONE entry level line features a cast basket with push terminals,Double stack 100oz magnet, 2.5" Dual 4 ohm voice coil with a stiff kevlar paper cone with medium foam surround. Ultra smooth progressive roll spider alows up to 2.5" of p-p excursion. Each capable of handling 600 wrms it should fit the bill nicely. Just like all of the Beyond Audio line this sub works in almost every application. This one is for the budget conscious SQ/SPL competitor.

MODEL# UNIT PRICE +shipping

X-ONE 15 $299.00ea.

X-ONE 12 $289.00ea.

X-ONE 10 $279.00ea.

All INHUMAN subs feature 32mmtop plates with a triple stack 300oz magnet. Each one uses the same motor structure giving each one 1.3" of elctrical travel in one direction. They are available in Dual 2 and quad 1 ohm. All are rated at 1200w music and up to 5000+W for spl burps. Designed for every application known to man.

MODEL# UNIT PRICE +shipping 4+ Pricing

INHUMAN 18" $725.00ea. $705.00

INHUMAN 15" $600.00ea. $575.00

INHUMAN 12" $590.00ea $565.00

INHUMAN 10" $580.00ea. $555.00

The PSI's feature the same motor structure but have a custom built basket that allows more excursion and far superior cooling. This unit also has dual spiders that keep it aligned during 3+inches of travel. The baskets of these woofers are 6" wider than the cone size so make sure there is room. Allow at least 10"-13" of depth for these ones. Dual 2 and quad 1 ohm only. This will be the most controversial woofer ever!

MODEL# Description Not officially released

PSI 8" Features a 8" diameter cone and a 14" diameter basket

PSI 10" Features a 10" diameter cone and a 16" diameter basket

PSI 12" Features a 12" diameter cone and a 18" diameter basket

PSI 15" Features a 15" diameter cone and a 21" diameter basket

This info has been cut and pasted directly from DB Don, the manufacturer of Beyond Audio subs.

I work at A&B sound and i have never heard of em, not yet anyways, maybe they will be out soon here though

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.