Eclipse CD7100 EQ modes

dunno shat

This head unit has two different EQ settings, 3 way mode, and front, rear, sub mode. Can someone explain what the 3way mode is? I know it has way more controls and I would like to use it, but don't know if it applies to my setup. The instructions aren't very clear on it. I have Focal components up front, infinity plate in the rear powered by a JL 300/4, and a W1v2 powered by a 250/1. The components are not biamped, they go through the passive crossover that came with. Thanks in advance.

I haven't dealt with that particular HU before, but on my alpine it had a switch that allowed you to pick between 3-way and f/r/s. When on 3-way mode the HU puts out the same signal for all three pairs out pre-outs. When you do it this way i believe as though you lose LP crossover on the sub output.

So long story short, I'd stick with f/r/s for your particular setup. I think 3-way is more for people who want to do separate amps for one set of speakers, like think one amp for the tweets and one for the mids and so on...

What if I ran the tweeters off my headunit and mids off my amp. By doing this I could get rid of the passive crossover. Would this be biamping? Would this sound any better? The head unit should have plenty of power for the tweeters, and I can cross it over as high as I need. Also, I think it allows me a high and low pass crossover for the mids at the same time. Does that make sense? I think it is called a bandpass. Not sure though.

It sounds good with it in front, rear, sub mode, but with all the options that you have in 3 way it just seems that I'm not using it to its full potential. I think the 3 way mode has like a 11 band parametric as appossed to a 6 band with the FRS mode and many more features, one being the crossover is much more detailed. By the way the crossover has full subwoofer fuctions. I love this head unit.

What if I ran the tweeters off my headunit and mids off my amp. By doing this I could get rid of the passive crossover. Would this be biamping? Would this sound any better? The head unit should have plenty of power for the tweeters, and I can cross it over as high as I need. Also, I think it allows me a high and low pass crossover for the mids at the same time. Does that make sense? I think it is called a bandpass. Not sure though.
Fairly sure you cannot run it off of the Head unit's amps, as the 3-way mode is for the amp pre-outs. The internal x-overs in the 7100 control the pre-outs but not the signal comming out of the internal amp in other words.

You are right in that low+high on the mids is bandpass x-over.

It sounds good with it in front, rear, sub mode, but with all the options that you have in 3 way it just seems that I'm not using it to its full potential. I think the 3 way mode has like a 11 band parametric as appossed to a 6 band with the FRS mode and many more features, one being the crossover is much more detailed. By the way the crossover has full subwoofer fuctions. I love this head unit.

Yes and no. You are right in that you aren't using EVERY feature of the 7100, but you really aren't sacrificing too much. Focal pays engineers good money to do a crap load of testing to create a passive x-over that seamlessly matches the mid woofer to the tweeter.

If you were to go out and buy some Seas mids or Dynaudios or something, but wanted to keep the tweeter....then maybe you'd want to get a small amp for the tweeters and run the active 3-way setup.

Thanks for the info. I was worried that the passive crossover would reduce sound quality. I just have one last question (I promise..). Should I use the crossover in the amp along with the one in the head unit? I could set them to the same frequency and slope to make sure its extra clean, or does it not work that way? Ofcourse I would be using the passive one as well.

No defeat the amp x-overs if using the HU. If they cannot be defeated example Eclipse XA amps IIRC, just set flat. Second answer no It does work that way.

If you use passives make sure that what ever is feeding them set the x-over's to full range. If not you will cut the freq's that you may need for that driver.

Example:You x-over one set of channels for your mid-bass/bandpass. Now you have your x-over set on that channel to only play down to 80hz and only play as high as 3khz. Then you sent it to your passive network the passive is only going to recieve 80hz-3khz. But the passasive is running tweeters that should x-over at 3.15khz and up. You can mix match that any way you like and you are not going to get the results you desire unless you let the other drive roll of naturally on the top end. Then your passive will work in that scenaro. I hope that made since. I may have just made matters worse. Not the greatest at explianing this.

If you are trying to go active then do some research it is not as easy as people think. The term active gets thrown around alot. If you are attempting passive you need to understand how it all works, x-over points, slopes ect.

My head unit doesn't have a bandpass in frs mode, it only has that in 3 way mode. I think I will stay away from the active setup and run the passive crossover. What I meant by the head unit crossover is to set it on high pass at like 100 or so on up (these drivers don't like to go that low even though the freq. response starts at 60 hz). Yes, There is a lot more to it than I thought. I have been reading up on this and just the wiring alone can be a pain. Thanks again for the help..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.