easiest/cheapest way to finish a box

xluben
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
i'm thinking of making a small box to throw my (no longer used) infinity reference 6.5" coaxials into for home use.

(this would just be a project to kill time during christmas break, i'm not expecting anything amazing to result, it will also be good box building practice)

this is currently what i have in mind:

(side removed)

3drenderhn2.jpg

outer dimensions: 14"x8"x10.5"

0.35ft^3 tuned to 50Hz with a 0.75" wide port

i have no T/S specs, so it'll probably sound terrible. i just went with a similar size to my dayton br-1's. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

went with a slot port for easy construction.

i'm thinking of trying spray on bedliner to finish them off.

couple questions:

anyone know if this is a reasonable size/tuning for a pair of cheap 6.5's?

(i'm not expecting much, but if a bit bigger/smaller would be better i'll change the design)

is bedliner the easiest/cheapest/most forgiving way to finish a box?

(how smooth do i need to sand it to make it look good?)

(is it easy to apply evenly?)

see here for my current box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201528

The volume is far too small, they need about 1cuft tuned to 50hz to sound nice in the home environment. We're talking about an F3 of 42hz with the larger enclosure verses 65hz with the smaller one.

At Kragens or Pep Boys you can get this stuff called "DupliColor Spray on Truck Bed Liner" its about $6 a can and is just like LineX or Rhino Liner. Adheres very easy and dries super fast with almost no smell.

The volume is far too small, they need about 1cuft tuned to 50hz to sound nice in the home environment. We're talking about an F3 of 42hz with the larger enclosure verses 65hz with the smaller one.
how did you come up with those numbers?

i'm not really looking to go for any bigger external dimensions than this.

i could go to 1/2" mdf, but i already have the 3/4", so i think i'll stick with that.

also, a 1.5" dia. round port, would give me a bit more net volume, but i don't want to make that small of an order w/PE, and the pvc port isn't the look i want.

what about a sealed alignment? is 0.4ft^3 enough?

i think i might just go with what i already planned, i don't really care if it sounds bad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

ummm.....paint it
that would require quite a bit of sanding to look decent.

i was hoping the bedliner would hide more of the imperfections.

At Kragens or Pep Boys you can get this stuff called "DupliColor Spray on Truck Bed Liner" its about $6 a can and is just like LineX or Rhino Liner. Adheres very easy and dries super fast with almost no smell.
that's what i was thinking of.

It won't sound "bad" in the small ported box, it just won't have the bass extension that it would have in the larger one.
is this based on personal experience, or do you have the t/s specs for these drivers?

an F3 at 60Hz is fine if you have a subwoofer that can take over. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.