Dumb question of the day - Home audio speakers in a car

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wadester999

Ok, I know there must be a good reason not to, but I keep thinking about using home audio drivers in a car stereo application.

Specifically I've got a pair of a/d/s/ L-700 speakers that use 2 6.5" drivers and a 1" tweeter. I am considering installing them in my Sonata which uses 6.5" door speakers front and rear and a 3.5" dash speaker.

I'm interested in sound quality over loudness but have a pretty tight budget. I'll be using a JBL MS-8, Alpine PDX-V9 and an a/d/s/ RS-10 sub in a 1 cu. ft. sealed box.

Has anyone tried using home audio speakers in their car?

ive never tried it, I think a couple ppl on here have though ive seen a guy with home theatre subs in his car. why aren't you buying car audio speakers? just wondering

The last set of door speakers I liked were the a/d/s/ 320i setup. A decent used set will run about $500. Comparable new setups about the same. That will cover the front door and dash. Probably another $300 to $400 for the back door. I already have the L-700s and don't really use them. Considering pulling the drivers and using the MS-8 to tune them to the car.

It can work, but generally home audio speakers aren't used in cars because it's harder to push them. Standard car speakers are usually 4 ohms and most home audio ones are 8 ohms, so you'll need more power to push them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.