Down firing or up firing subwoofer?

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Trying to figure out if a subwoofer enclosure that I am looking to out under the back seat of our 14' Tundra Double Cab will sound better firing up or down. There are several boxes out there that I am looking at.

Pioneer has a basic enclosure that I think will work great, but it's firing down.

Down, as into the floor? ?

I wouldn't go that route. In my truck, I always fire my subs upwards towards the ceiling, but I also dont run compact systems so I either A. Take out entire rear seat, or B, have a massive speaker box sitting on top of the seat. I prefer the air to have more room to move around rather then not. Which is why I despise kids with huge woofers in their tiny trunks.

But if im understanding correctly, you wanna fo under the rear bench seat?

Why not find or build a box that fires straight out? That way if you go ported, it has direct opening to the free air rather then smashed against a seat cushion.

Okay, I just want to go with a larger sub than one 8". The stealth box by JL audio is setup like that and way expensive because it's loaded with a W7

Those are overpriced and you can do better that that. Get someone to build you a custom one! Like previously suggested, subs forward and port to the side will work good in a truck.
This, all day long. You will much better off having one built to YOUR needs, than trying to make one work for you.

Two 8s in a proper ported box will easily destroy 10s and 12s in a crammed box.

Sundown sa 8s will amaze you. Or get a pair of sundown x 8s with spl surround and a 2000 rms amp guaranteed to be brutal.

Okay, I just want to go with a larger sub than one 8". The stealth box by JL audio is setup like that and way expensive because it's loaded with a W7
I can get you loud with 2 8's in a custom ported man. Pm me if you're interested.

I dont care if it's a w7 or the god of subwoofers, either way you're making no progress if you buy prefab junk. It's a waste of money and waste of time.. You will only wish you had bought a custom one after the fact..

Def hit up CSCStang for a box.. he does great work for less than you think

I dont care if it's a w7 or the god of subwoofers, either way you're making no progress if you buy prefab junk. It's a waste of money and waste of time.. You will only wish you had bought a custom one after the fact..
Blazian87 is correct those enclosures even when they sound good at first slowly deteriorate and evidently bust a seam. If you wanna run a traditional setup just fold up the seat take it out when you need the backseat

Two 8s in a proper ported box will easily destroy 10s and 12s in a crammed box.
Sundown sa 8s will amaze you. Or get a pair of sundown x 8s with spl surround and a 2000 rms amp guaranteed to be brutal.
What do you mean "spl surround"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.