Does this sound right?

Participant count
  • Participant list

KTMrida4life
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I just installed my new sub stage setup 2-3 days ago. I have (3) SA 8 D4 subs powered by a Lanzar Opti2000 amp.

Anyway, I was curious if I wired everything correctly. Total load I should be seeing with everything in parallel is .67 ohms at the leads. I measured with my DMM and saw exactly .8 ohms. I didnt think anything of it at first, but I just checked on a calculator, and if I was missing 1 voice coil somehow (blown?) then I would end up with the exact reading I am getting.

Is it possible that one of the voice coils is blown, or, is this normal because of each sub being built different? I clipped the subs pretty badly when I first put them in due to gain settings being off. I wouldnt be surprised if one is damaged, but I thought they were tougher than that.

I will pull the box out tomorrow and measure each coil to see what kinda readings I am getting. If I do have a "blown" coil, what kind of resistance would I see when I measure it? 0? Should I see exactly 4 ohms when measuring each working coil?

So I just installed my new sub stage setup 2-3 days ago. I have (3) SA 8 D4 subs powered by a Lanzar Opti2000 amp.
Anyway, I was curious if I wired everything correctly. Total load I should be seeing with everything in parallel is .67 ohms at the leads. I measured with my DMM and saw exactly .8 ohms. I didnt think anything of it at first, but I just checked on a calculator, and if I was missing 1 voice coil somehow (blown?) then I would end up with the exact reading I am getting.

Is it possible that one of the voice coils is blown, or, is this normal because of each sub being built different? I clipped the subs pretty badly when I first put them in due to gain settings being off. I wouldnt be surprised if one is damaged, but I thought they were tougher than that.

I will pull the box out tomorrow and measure each coil to see what kinda readings I am getting. If I do have a "blown" coil, what kind of resistance would I see when I measure it? 0? Should I see exactly 4 ohms when measuring each working coil?
if one coil is in fact blown, then you should see an outrageous number like 12, then it will bounce around like crazy. we cant help you until you take them out and measure first.

just because there rated for dual 4 ohms dosnt make them exactly 4 ohms. My D2 jbl read 1.3ohms in parallel.

But you could pull them out and check each one individually to be on the safe side

just because there rated for dual 4 ohms dosnt make them exactly 4 ohms. My D2 jbl read 1.3ohms in parallel.
But you could pull them out and check each one individually to be on the safe side
I know that, thats why I asked if it was just normal variance in each coils impedance.

Guess I'll pull them out and check.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.