Does this make sense?

Participant count
  • Participant list

agarabaghi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So i have all my amps (3 of them) running to a distribution block, which has a 135amp breaker before it goes to the AUX battery.

The break has never popped with the system on full blast for hours... So is it safe to say my system draws less than 135amps?

short answer yes, could be drawling that for split seconds, but this is assuming that it is a thermal breaker. and the second batter could be absorbing some of the "blow"

It really depends on the tolerance of your breaker. Some breakers don't open the circuit ever. Others do prematurely and others still will go a certain percentage over their rating before opening the circuit. We have no way of knowing. If I had a breaker I would probably test it out before putting it in to service.

how do you test a breaker?
You could run a clamped 135 amps through it and see if it blows. If not, gradually increase until it does. Only a couple problems though; You would need a way to clamp 135 amps with a gradual increase, and you would also only get a theoretical tolerance of that fuse. You would have to do several tests to try and get an average and even then it would still only be "best guess". In other words more trouble than its worth.

You could run a clamped 135 amps through it and see if it blows. If not, gradually increase until it does. Only a couple problems though; You would need a way to clamp 135 amps with a gradual increase, and you would also only get a theoretical tolerance of that fuse. You would have to do several tests to try and get an average and even then it would still only be "best guess". In other words more trouble than its worth.
I don't think he needs to test it's accuracy. He needs to test if it even works on dead shorts. That's just my opinion of course.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.