Does size really matter? (daily setup)

SudoGaron
10+ year member

I've been digging around looking at setups and still really liked my single 15, regardless of how crappy it was to begin with. I got to hear 4 RF T2 12s in a ported box over the weekend and it was pretty insane.

My confusion is what direction to actually go with my daily Tahoe. I find a great deal on a 15 and then I think, man maybe I should go with 4 12s or a crap ton of 8s or something to be different. The problem is I've not heard a group of 8s to even know if it would get low and pound like 15s or 12s. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I hate to just be like everyone locally running 2 12s and thinking they are amazing.

I can't wall it off due to needing the back bench seat (2door tahoe needs room), so I'm thinking if I can find someone that runs a bunch of 8s or 10s maybe, and get a demo or info on the setup I could go that route and not be sitting around like everyone locally.

So! lol does size really matter? In regards to ground pounding / daily use. No interest in SQ.

Its all about cone size, sub power handling/efficiency, and fs. If you want loud and low that is.

If you take an 8" sub, and have the same motor, coils etc, and stick it on a 15" basket/cone....the 15 will be considerably louder.....given all things equal. Remember...double the cone surface area, or the power to gain 3 db (roughly)

size doesn't matter that much but it will take a few 8's to have the same out put as a 15. how muxh space do you have to use 3 10's would be cool and a little louder than a 15. like 3 IA 187's on a 1000w amp wire it all to .7 ohms should be fine on a 1 ohm amp

heres my .2

Personally, I would run 2 or 3 15"s. maybe even 2 18"s. Just because it seems like you want to be loud "duhh" in a well tuned built box. But if you dont have the electrical for it then you have to upgrade that too.

size doesn't matter that much but it will take a few 8's to have the same out put as a 15. how muxh space do you have to use 3 10's would be cool and a little louder than a 15. like 3 IA 187's on a 1000w amp wire it all to .7 ohms should be fine on a 1 ohm amp
I'm looking at 24 Cubic Feet total in the back of my Tahoe. That takes into account the wheel well indentation and slope of the back seat and roof dipping in the rear.

heres my .2
Personally, I would run 2 or 3 15"s. maybe even 2 18"s. Just because it seems like you want to be loud "duhh" in a well tuned built box. But if you dont have the electrical for it then you have to upgrade that too.
The truck has a big 3 upgrade already, and I'm either going to run a single HO Alt and a couple batteries somewhere to help out I guess... I've not really made it to the electrical strain just yet.

The truck has a big 3 upgrade already, and I'm either going to run a single HO Alt and a couple batteries somewhere to help out I guess... I've not really made it to the electrical strain just yet.
You should be good for just about anything you want to run, unless your going to run more than 4000, depending on which HO alternator you get. Maybe a couple DC lvl 4 18"s or something within that.

You should be good for just about anything you want to run, unless your going to run more than 4000, depending on which HO alternator you get. Maybe a couple DC lvl 4 18"s or something within that.
Would there be any major "boom" different between running 2 15s as apposed to 4 12s of the same model obviously. I would think the 4 would be far more due to cone area as stated earlier. 2 18s seems over the top for me going daily but I guess its about the same as say 4 12s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.