Does sealing off the trunk vent make a big difference in SPL?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Depending on your trunk it might cause the trunk to get hotter without the vent, and overheat your amps o_O

I've thought about either putting a couple of fans right in front of the vent to **** in cool air, or blocking it off to brace the car and keep it a little quieter outside. Kinda thinking about just doing the fans so my trunk stays cooler, sounds safer for my system.

Depending on your trunk it might cause the trunk to get hotter without the vent, and overheat your amps o_O

I've thought about either putting a couple of fans right in front of the vent to **** in cool air, or blocking it off to brace the car and keep it a little quieter outside. Kinda thinking about just doing the fans so my trunk stays cooler, sounds safer for my system.

Yes you are losing pressure through the vent. So yes closing it off will keep the pressure in, and distribute more pressure into the cabin area, which in turn will produce a higher number......

My vent got fucked up in my last trunk build due to the pressure. Started allowing water to come, it was a fucking mess. I took a piece of aluminum and some jb weld, fixed.......

Yes you are losing pressure through the vent. So yes closing it off will keep the pressure in, and distribute more pressure into the cabin area, which in turn will produce a higher number......

My vent got fucked up in my last trunk build due to the pressure. Started allowing water to come, it was a fucking mess. I took a piece of aluminum and some jb weld, fixed.......

total dependent on the build.
I have gained and lost SPL from sealing trunk vents.

Are you metering on the dash or outlaw?
Anymore info you could share?

Wanting to get this fiberglassed today if I get a good enough reason.

Its not that simple, unfortunately. To name one example, leaving the vent open may help increase the bandpass effect a trunk many times creates, thereby actually increasing your SPL score. This would usually hurt musicality tho, in the form of linear freq response. Just too complex of a situation to give a yes or no answer.

Leaving the vent open will also help the bitches hear your system, increasing your chances of getting laid ten fold.

Leaving the vent open will also help the bitches hear your system, increasing your chances of getting laid ten fold.
LMFAO, not really worried about that.

I know most get a higher score with windows open, kinda like a port for air to escape, but thats right up front by the meter. This is the opposite direction form the meter so I was thinking it could hurt(obviously more than windows down)

Also if the windows down help just because of an opening and not because of location then leaving the vent open would meter higher

Just not sure, I know prob not many have tested it, and without a definitive answer or scientific explanation I guess its best for me to either make it removable or just leave it open

I will state in my case I gained in output, I suppose every vehicle is different. I would say if the vent is close to one of the wheel well's, it would be in you best interest to do it just to not have to deal with it getting screwed up and allowing water in if it gets screwed up......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.