Do I need to reverse the polarity if I want to flip/downfire my subwoofers

Participant count
  • Participant list

AndrewOrwig

I am still kinda new at this wiring thing, but i have the basics down, but i was wanting to fire my subwoofers into the box, or downfiring i believe is what it is called, and i wanted to know if i need to reverse the polarity on the voicecoils, or how i would wire them up to avoid damage to the speakers, if someone could jus explain the basic outline of this or give a good place to find this info i would be very much appreciative....thanks

Andrew

Just a note: What you're talking about isn't down-firing, it's inverting.

A down-firing sub is any sub that faces down, towards the floorboard. Regardless of whether it's firing into or out of the enclosure.

An inverted sub is one that faces into the enclosure instead of facing out of the enclosure.

Note that it is possible to have a down-firing sub that is also an inverted sub. It's also possible to have a down-firing sub that is not inverted, or an inverted sub that is not down-firing. The two terms are not directly related.

But, to answer the question you would have asked had you known this already, if you're mounting a single sub inverted, it's probably better to invert the power also, which means switch the polarity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.