Differential Ratio

Put a chalk mark on your tire & one on your driveshaft. While watching the driveshaft, have a buddy push your car until the tire makes one complete revolution. Count the number of times the driveshaft turns in one revolution of the tire. If the driveshaft turns a little over 4 times ratio is around 4.11, a little over 3 turns 3.08, a little under 3 turns 2.73 etc. Get the idea?

Put a chalk mark on your tire & one on your driveshaft. While watching the driveshaft, have a buddy push your car until the tire makes one complete revolution. Count the number of times the driveshaft turns in one revolution of the tire. If the driveshaft turns a little over 4 times ratio is around 4.11, a little over 3 turns 3.08, a little under 3 turns 2.73 etc. Get the idea?
thats a wonderful idea and i would normally say that too but he drives a corsica.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

any of you feel like finding the gear ratio of my truck. stock i have a 3.73 (i think), but when i changed to a 35" tire, i wonder how much it changed. i wonder if it dropped more than like 3.50 or 3.30. i wonder what i would come out to with 4.10 gears?

It doesn't work like that ...
there must be a chart somewhere for a stock chevy rear end wirth larger tires. everywhere you look, jeeps have them and so do yotas, i am just not into looking for one for mine. those other ones are easy to find. when you change your tires size it effects the final drive ratio.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif To accurately calculate the engine speed, you need:
An accurate speedometer

Current gear ratio

Final drive ratio

Tire diameter

Either that or just install a tachometer ...

No, where would I put a tach? Iv tried to find the advanced guages for my corsica with the tach, but they are few and far between. I dont really need to know that bad, I was just curious. But, again, thanks for the info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

qtipextra

5,000+ posts
The Original
qtipextra
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date