Difference between rippled and smooth/fat surrounds on the Type R's?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
Always thought the type R's had the rippled surrounds. Have been seeing some used (assuming older version) type R's that have a more traditional smooth foam surround.

Any differences besides the surround and age?

Always thought the type R's had the rippled surrounds. Have been seeing some used (assuming older version) type R's that have a more traditional smooth foam surround.
Any differences besides the surround and age?
I'm sure alpine changed a few thing over the years from the first alpine type are until the new ones. I just don't follow alpine to know off hand. I'm sure if u googled for 5-10mins you could find your awnser.

1st gen type r's (only rolled surround version) were the cat's pajamas. very successful design, best sounding, best looking, and won innovation awards throughout the industry. they were the flagship alpine sub used in all of alpine's show cars during the time (f1 status rsx) every variant after the 1st gen are just not up to par with them with the corrugated surround and build quality, imo.

i believe alpine increased production and built more for quantity over quality based on the success the original initially yielded. these days i see the newer styles up for sale everywhere and can't help but think these dummies bought into the namesake.

i'm a devout old-schooler, though, so my opinion is rather biased.

1st gen type r's (only rolled surround version) were the cat's pajamas. very successful design, best sounding, best looking, and won innovation awards throughout the industry. they were the flagship alpine sub used in all of alpine's show cars during the time (f1 status rsx) every variant after the 1st gen are just not up to par with them with the corrugated surround and build quality, imo.
i believe alpine increased production and built more for quantity over quality based on the success the original initially yielded. these days i see the newer styles up for sale everywhere and can't help but think these dummies bought into the namesake.

i'm a devout old-schooler, though, so my opinion is rather biased.
No I'd say you are spot on. The older type Rs just felt louder and sounded better and felt more durable. The black cone is the worst type R imo.

I bought one of the black cone type r 10's a few years ago and was not happy with it at all, the power handling was no where near the 1000w claimed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I bought one of the black cone type r 10's a few years ago and was not happy with it at all, the power handling was no where near the 1000w claimed.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
yeah, anything over 700 watts clamped clean = death Didnt sound anywhere near as good as the old school gray and white cones.

That type of surround is called accordion type surround. It was originally in home stereo speakers years and years ago. A few audio companies got that idea from that and applied it to their subs.

I bought an SS15 (Soundstream 15" very o/s school sub) long time ago and it had that same style surround rather than the usual 1/2 rolled we're so used to seeing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.