DIfference between a sub in a 4.5 cuft vs a 2.5 cuft enclosure when tuning fs, magnitude, SPL, and port velocity are nearly the same.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Annihilated

CarAudio.com Newbie
Raleigh
Im building a box for my 1996 Accord using WinISD.
So I have exterior dimensions of 16 high by 33 wide and 20 deep i want to work with. There's a perfect rectangle behind where the seats fold down and i plan to create a seal between the box and the frame. The problem is this gives me an internal volume of like 4.6 cu ft. I plan on using a single American Bass Xr1222 but their exact parameters are hard to find so I'm using a similar model the XFL1222. (12" woofer 3" voice coil 1200w rms 18mm xmax) Okay all this being said the manufacturer recommends 1.75-2.5 cu ft for the woofer but I cant make a box that small be 16x33 and fit a port thats not a labyrinth.... (although that would take up airspace, its too complicated) I'm using WinISD to graph out the box options and i can put the woofer in a 4.5 cu ft box likely to be 3.0-4.0 after displacement of bracings and the port, but how will that affect performance? On the transfer magnitude, SPL, and port air velocity graphs i can make them damn near identical but one is in a 4.6 box and one is in a 2.2 box which they recommend, whats the difference???

(Well looking back the only thing thats hard to match is the transfer function magnitude. the 2.5 cu ft box is a little flatter at a 3db peak while the 4.5 is at a 4.3db peak)

Other Info: I'm tuning to 36hz, I cant make up my mind about going low or high so im choosing middle ground. I'm trying to keep port air velocity under 20 m/s at peak resonance. I'm using a slot port, it's my first box so im not buying an adjustable aeroport yet.
TLDR: What's the difference between a subwoofer in a 4.5 cu ft box and a 2.5 cu ft box if you have graphed the port velocity, SPL, and transfer magnitude to nearly identical levels?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.