Diamond Audio 661s tweeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

kevinsean23
10+ year member

I'm looking into changing out the tweeters on my Diamond Audio 661s comps- one of the tweeters is blown. I'm currently looking at the Polk Audio SR1001 tweets. Simple change out or not a good idea? I think the ohm rating should be the same if swapping, but I haven't been able to find out what the tweeters for the Diamonds are rated at.

Appreciate any help in advance.

I went through the sticky on passive crossovers and active. So, it would not matter if I chose say a 8 ohm morel tweeter or a 4 ohm Polk tweeter since the passive crossover deals with frequencies. Hopefully I'm getting this right. So, should I be looking at different crossovers too because the current ones are designed for the "stock" configuration?

Any other tweeter suggestions? If I'm replacing them anyway, I'd prefer to get better ones- not harsh and natural. I like the current ones just wish they could get just a little louder then these b4 distorting.

Well, the passive crossovers were designed to properly match the woofers and tweeters together, and it definitely takes into account the impedance of each individual speaker themselves. Your best bet is to match your new tweeters impedance to the old tweeters if you plan on keeping the old crossovers. If you're going to build new crossovers just for the speakers, you might as well get new mids to your liking or even go active.

What's your price range on a new set of tweeters? And if you can find out the impedance of your old tweets, that would make helping you find a new pair much more simple.

Ah, makes sense. I ohmed out the tweeter and it's reading at 6ohms. I'm not sure if I have the skills to make my own crossover though. I'm sure tweeters up to $400 would be fine with me as long as they are a sound quality improvement at high volume over the current ones- not that the current ones are shabby. Those polk tweeters piqued my interest along with some morel tweeters due to some reviews that I've read. I wish I knew how to set up an active setup but that is way beyond my skill level and I don't have any equipment so I guess I should stick with passive.

Going to an 8 ohm tweet would either double the crossover frequency or cut it in half-I don't remember which right now (love that Johnny Walker Black) but that will cross it way too high or possibly dangerously low.Passive crossovers deal with more than frequencys alone-they are impedance affected.Get a tweeter with the same ohm rating-but it still may not perform as well as the one the crossover was designed for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.