Dealing with plastic doors

Participant count
  • Participant list

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
My latest install has been very frustrating. I've thrown time and money into the front speaker installation and I'm still not happy with the results. I need some advice as to how to proceed.

For background, I've resorted to mounting the speakers to the outside of my doors because the factory mountings were very lame. Door skins are damped with Raamat and a sq ft piece of acoustic foam behind the speakers. Speakers are mounted to a 1/2" thick plywood baffle covered in vinyl:

6337618902_1f6783575a_z.jpg

The hole above the baffle is for the door handle. It gets filled with a plastic insert that's been Raamatted on the back.

Speakers are HAT Imagine 5.25's with coaxial tweeters.

The problem is that the midbass is muddy and undefined. Midrange sounds "hollow" like the speakers are playing from inside a tube. Certain guitar notes "plink" with a noticeable resonance. I'm fairly certain that the culprit is the door panel itself, which is a heavy gage plastic padded with carpet and leather (love my Buick).

I've put deadening on the back side of the door panels, but haven't gone crazy with it. There are wires and switches and whatnot that I want to keep accessable.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks for the reply -

It's impossible to really seal the panel to the door, since the panel is wrapped with upholstery. But the more I listen, the more I'm convinced that the plastic door panel is resonating. I'ma gonna deaden the living snot out of it and see how that goes.

Any deadeners better on composites than others?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.