DD 9518 or ?????

Ford780
10+ year member

noob
looking at selling my system and redoing things. its going in a 97 chevy ext cab truck. amp that will be running the sub is an AP3000D. stock electrical for now. here in the next 2 weeks or so it will have 2 yellow tops under the hood and a batt cap 2000.

so today i was talking to the owner of the local dd dealer. He told me he could do a 9518 with upgraded spiders and a 4th order box for 850 out the door. the box will be tuned using a b&m meter. think its worth it? any other suggestions?

thanks for the help fellas.

Personally I would get a used 9518 as you can prob find one for $375-425 shipped on here. If you have some basic tools you can build the 4th order yourself for under $100, and just have someone like RAM_Designs do a design for you. Unless you are getting a good deal on those yellow tops I would go with a different battery, as they have a tendency of dying if you let the voltage drop below a certain point. Bad4health sells deka's on here which cost about the same as a new yellow top, but are like twice as beefy lol

yeah thats the thing my box building skills are a bit weak. my first box i built was a full wall for 6 re sr 12's. lets just say after 4 months of daily use the box has more flex then my truck lol. also do you think i will notice a big diffrance in output between the 6 12's and the 18? they are the new sr's so only 300 rms. have the gain on the 3000d up about a 1/3. as far as the yellow tops a guy sells defects for 100 bucks. he is a friend of a friend so i might be able to snag the pair for 120. also the guy selling the sub wants 250 for the batt cap

The DD in a properly built 4th order should be much louder than the SRs. Those subs are nothing like the older RE stuff, which is sad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

yeah i was cleaning out the shop i work for and found a few blown old sr and was amazed at the difference in build. im new to the scene so not in the know off the high in stuff. i did small dime a dozen systems till about 6 months ago. i was offered all 6 sr's for 400 bucks new so figured at least i would have the 'wow' factor lol but now its time to do something serious

yeah thats the thing my box building skills are a bit weak. my first box i built was a full wall for 6 re sr 12's. lets just say after 4 months of daily use the box has more flex then my truck lol. also do you think i will notice a big diffrance in output between the 6 12's and the 18? they are the new sr's so only 300 rms. have the gain on the 3000d up about a 1/3. as far as the yellow tops a guy sells defects for 100 bucks. he is a friend of a friend so i might be able to snag the pair for 120. also the guy selling the sub wants 250 for the batt cap
Do you know what size your alt is? Bad4health sells Deka 9a31's for $120 shipped. 6 12's have a major advantage in the cone area department over a single 18. The 12's would be most likely louder unless the wall for them was terribly designed.

Do you know what size your alt is? Bad4health sells Deka 9a31's for $120 shipped. 6 12's have a major advantage in the cone area department over a single 18. The 12's would be most likely louder unless the wall for them was terribly designed.
think the alt is 105amp. the box was my fist attempt and i changed the dimensions last min and didnt recalculate the port. so the tuning was wayy high.

think the alt is 105amp. the box was my fist attempt and i changed the dimensions last min and didnt recalculate the port. so the tuning was wayy high.
To be fair your first build was a wall so I'm not surprised it didn't come out as expected so you can't really blame yourself for that lol

To be fair your first build was a wall so I'm not surprised it didn't come out as expected so you can't really blame yourself for that lol
yeah thats why im looking into the guy at the shop build me one. we are some what buddies but not the the point where i get mad hook ups. he said i could hang out and help out with the build so i can learn. plus he is the only guy around that has a D&M. guy has broken several world records so it would be cool to learn from him.

yeah thats why im looking into the guy at the shop build me one. we are some what buddies but not the the point where i get mad hook ups. he said i could hang out and help out with the build so i can learn. plus he is the only guy around that has a D&M. guy has broken several world records so it would be cool to learn from him.
J/c what do you mean by D&M? And who is he?

J/c what do you mean by D&M? And who is he?
sorry idk what the hell b&M are its actually B&K. not sure how i got that mixed up. and its a guy named mike jones. i was told he was the first guy to break 170's on a B&K

sorry idk what the hell b&M are its actually B&K. not sure how i got that mixed up. and its a guy named mike jones. i was told he was the first guy to break 170's on a B&K
This is the man who is doing my setup, owns custom sound works, has multiple records, guys a beast and knows his ****.

Sorry for bumping an old thread :p

This is the man who is doing my setup, owns custom sound works, has multiple records, guys a beast and knows his ****. Sorry for bumping an old thread :p
Well hopefully he does as the 9500 series subs aren't exactly 4th order friendly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.