DD 9510 - PURE spl?

maldecido33
10+ year member

MSEE
Lubbock, TX
I'm looking at getting a DD 9510 as a daily driver. I'm not looking for huge spl numbers, but it'd be nice to get loud. However, is this thing gonna sound like ****? I'm more of an sql guy, but how far away from sql is this sub?

I'd have it in a 1.5 ft^3 box (after sub and port displacement) tuned to 35 Hz. Slot port, 21 in^2 of port. Sending around 1200wrms to it.

I'm all for getting loud, but how's this gonna do listening to music (rap).

What if I tuned the box to 32 Hz? Or up at 40 Hz?

Thanks for any input :)

just can't decide on that how it'd perform in a box tuned to 35hz. i don't really wanna tune above that any, and i'm worried the sub would sound like **** in that application. especially when I put on country music :)

No matter what, they will never hit anything great under 35-37hz range, purely an SPL driver. My friend down in florida was a DD retailer and threw a couple 9512s in his car with some very high quality zapco gear(a really nice install) and those things got extremely loud in the 43-52hz range (testing cycles) but they were barely loud at all in lower frequency application. He even put them in a doubleshot from powered4sound which will definitely improve the lower band but still, they only played the higher stuff. Unless you're going for a high SPL yielding setup, I wouldn't recommend this to you, an SQL guy. There are plenty of other drivers out there that will give you the SQL you want at 1200 watts. I'm not saying the 9510 is a bad driver either, it's just not what you're looking for from what I've seen/heard.

thats what i'm thinking :-/

well, recommend me some sql drivers that'll eat up 1200 watts :) at any ohm load (regulated power supplies FTW)

single 10" :) i have 1.5 cu ft to work with, and can tune anywhere

Eh, can speak for it. 9100's sounded pretty decent though.

Other subs to look at are

MT

SI Mag (really good SQ, havent heard the new ones though)

Death Penulty

does it have to be a 10???

i need the mounting depth as close to or under 6" as possible. I was pushing it with the 9510 (6.75" mounting depth). so yea, i could do a 12, but it'll be tougher to meet my limitations.

but, keep in mind my space. 1.5 cu ft after all displacements

i'd consider an idmax, except for the powerhandling. i'm already gonna have to sell/ship off my 12w7, and i'd rather not have to sell my amp. thats why i'm kinda sticking with the whole 1200wrms thing.

what about an sx?

the 9500's are really geared toward an spl application and get loud as hell. I had them playing music and was happy with it, but I know of many that wouldnt like it because it doesnt like to get as low as other drivers. It really all depends on your personal preference and the box that you put them in.

So yeah..Pure SPL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.