DC alt overcharging

Participant count
  • Participant list

Max_Power
10+ year member

^ From a Hairdryer ^
Toledo, Ohio
I recently replaced my stock alternator with one from DC power. I also around the same time sold my subwoofer and have been driving around bassless. Without the strain of the subs amplifier going the alternator was charging with a solid 14v+ at idle with the headlights on. all was good. I then went ahead and changed my walmart neverstart with a diehard platinum of the same size. still the alternator charged at 14+ reguardless of the load. I have yet to reconnect any of my big three.

Today I decided to drop in one of my new subs and reconnect the amplifier to get some temporary bass. I was driving around beating the sub pretty hard trying to test both the woofer and the alternator's capabilities. all was great until I checked the voltage at my battery.

My meter (which is a cheap harbor freight) read 18.86 and rising!! this was with the engine running, stereo playing, and headlights on. I checked my meter's range and all was good. checked the battery again 19.24v and rising. turned the car off, headlights on 18.56v. I turned everything off and felt my stock charging and ground wires, both were "normal" temps and the battery wasnt hot either.

I never had a problem with the meter before, so I have no reason to suspect it otherwise.

What you guys think????

reading 18 with the car off, I think your meter is BS'ing you for sure i have had one voltage regulator go on me and within minutes the battery had swelled to the point you didn't want to be anywhere near it.

and this boys and girls is why you do simple things before freaking out.

I went out, not 2 min ago and rechecked my battery in my car with the same meter. 16.xx volts

tried a different meter, same situation. 13.6x volts

first meter, on my truck running, headlights on. --- flashed on the screen.

second meter, same truck, same situation. 14.39 volts

first meter, AA battery (1.5 volts incase you dont know). 2.24 volts

second meter, same battery. 1.6 volts

my meter is junk and I worried you fine people for nothing. I looked closer and discovered that the bad meter says batt on the screen. I assume the battery is junk.

still recommend me a good meter I can rely on without spending $$ on a fluke please.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Max_Power

10+ year member
^ From a Hairdryer ^
Max_Power
Toledo, Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date