Dale Jr.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Not only has Nascar's most popular driver been medically clear to race next year, but he's also getting married in a few days to long time gf Amy Reimann. Can't wait for the new season to start.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
Personally, I think he should retire from driving while he is healthy. The concussion problem that pulled him out of the car this year is something that never completely heals. One hard hit and it could start again, with even worse symptoms. And take even longer to heal or the symptoms could stay forever. It would stink to see him looking like some punch drunk boxer for the rest of his life.

OP
Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Personally, I think he should retire from driving while he is healthy. The concussion problem that pulled him out of the car this year is something that never completely heals. One hard hit and it could start again, with even worse symptoms. And take even longer to heal or the symptoms could stay forever. It would stink to see him looking like some punch drunk boxer for the rest of his life.
While I don't necessarily disagree with this, I'm to selfish to say that I wish he would retire. It just wouldn't be the same without him. I remember when Earnhardt Sr. died it took a couple of years for me to get back into Nascar. I'm not saying I wouldn't watch because I watched every race this year even though he missed half the season. It just wouldn't be as exciting to me because I'm a die hard Earnhardt fan.

OP
Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Carl Edwards anounced that he's retiring today. Didn't see that one coming, especially since he almost won the championship last year.

OP
Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Big changes announced to by nascar...

MONSTER ENERGY NASCAR CUP SERIES

FAQ FOR NASCAR'S 2017 RACE FORMAT ENHANCEMENTS

By Staff report | NASCAR.com |

January 23, 2017 at 06.00 PM

RELATED: Full coverage of announcement | Official NASCAR press release

NASCAR's race enhancements announced Monday detailed how and why races will be run in stages in 2017. Below are answers to some of the potential questions.

How many stages are in a race?

Three -- Stage 1, Stage 2 and the Final Stage. Stage 1 and Stage 2 will reward drivers who are leading, or in the top 10, at the conclusion of each stage. The Final Stage will determine the race winner.

What is Stage 1?

The green flag begins the race, and therefore Stage 1. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

Who benefits most?

Drivers who are running first through 10th at the conclusion of Stage 1 will receive stage bonus points, starting with 10 points for first place, nine points for second place, down to one point for 10th place. Additionally, the driver who finishes Stage 1 first will receive one playoff point to carry into the postseason, should that driver qualify. Those can add up quickly over the course of a season.

What about Stage 2?

At the conclusion of Stage 1, there is a caution period for drivers to come down pit road (innovative strategies will be crucial under these enhancements.) Stage 2 will then begin with a drop of the green flag for the restart. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

What about Stage 2 bonus points?

Same as Stage 1: Drivers who are running first through 10th at the conclusion of Stage 2 will receive stage bonus points, starting with 10 points for first place, nine points for second place, down to one point for 10th place. Additionally, the driver who finishes Stage 2 first will receive one playoff point to carry into the postseason.

What about the final stage?

Following another caution period, which gives fans another natural break in the action, the final stage begins with another green flag drop and restart. Drivers then race for the event win ... and the five bonus points that come with it.

How are points distributed?

The final stage produces the race results, so the end of the final stage is the end of the race. Whoever crosses the start/finish line first at the checkered flag is the race winner. Race points are then awarded to the entire field based on finishing order. The winner receives 40 points. Second place receives 35 points, third place receives 34 points, fourth place receives 33 points ... down to one point for drivers who finish 36th-40th.

There no longer will be a bonus point for leading a lap, or a bonus point for leading the most laps.

And the winner?

The race winner receives five bonus points toward the postseason (this is up from three last year under the new enhancements), plus postseason eligibility. If a driver leads at the end of both Stage 1 and Stage 2, and then wins the race, then he or she would receive seven bonus points to carry into the postseason.

OP
Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
As part of Team Wayne Taylor Racing Jeff Gordon becomes only the fourth driver to win the Daytona 500 and the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Rich B

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 1, 2006
*under the rainbow*
Carl Edwards anounced that he's retiring today. Didn't see that one coming, especially since he almost won the championship last year.
Several former drivers have said they expect Edwards back in a car before the end of the season.

With Ford's big push this year (Stewart-Haas wasnt cheap) and Edwards essentially being Ford's factory driver for years until Gibbs dangled a fortune in his face, he might want to go back to Jack Roush and Ford, and needed to find a way out of his current contract.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/driving.gif.c4dead4599dda895032b63e51f52b126.gif

OP
Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Several former drivers have said they expect Edwards back in a car before the end of the season.
With Ford's big push this year (Stewart-Haas wasnt cheap) and Edwards essentially being Ford's factory driver for years until Gibbs dangled a fortune in his face, he might want to go back to Jack Roush and Ford, and needed to find a way out of his current contract.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/driving.gif.c4dead4599dda895032b63e51f52b126.gif
You're correct on the Ford part. I've read that there's a good chance he'll be drive for Penske next year. Something must of happened at Gibbs for him to want out of his contract so bad that he "retired".

OP
Slo_Ride

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Junior says if he wins the championship this year that he'd probably retire. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
520reaudiosx15s Southwest Region 0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)

• sherwood71

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds