crossovers

not me that's why i said the "expensive" units. with those you got eq ta xo and some even have auto tuning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I think you'd be better off going with an 'active' capable HU and buying an outboard EQ than you would using a cheap x-over and relying on the HU's EQ.

If you do not have any sort of EQ to balance out the peaks from your speakers, it's not worth going active. In addition, you're going to have one helluva time trying to find an inexpensive crossover that gives you time correction...which is a very neat feature to have. All these features (EQ, X-over, T/A) can be found in higher end HU's and most do a decent job. To buy a processor that does all that, you're looking at $250ish starting out (used RF 360.2) and the prices just skyrocket from there. But an active capable HU?

I looked at the hu part and they are getting hard to find anymore. What about using a amp with built in crossovers?
Most onboard amp crossovers are gawd awful. You'd be better off using FMODs.

Even then, you probably don't have an EQ to really do active right. Honestly, stick with the passives unless you're willing to shell out $$$ for a decent processing via HU or DSP. Relying on the crossovers for who knows what amp isn't a good idea. There's a few amps out there with good x-overs but those are few and far between. Even most of the 'name brand' stuff is garbage...Alpine is the worst offender followed closely by Polk & Fosgate. Alpine & Polk amps will not make max power if you use the onboard x-overs without massive amounts of noise & distortion. You should see the difference with the x-over on vs. off on an o-scope.

Alpine HU's with T/A, xover, and EQ are plentiful used. there are about 10 that can give you that for under $200 used in great shape. you can always find a 9833 or 9835 somewhere. you just need to make sure it is 3-way capable. for Alpine, there will be a switch on the bottom of the unit that changes between modes.

that and a 4 channel amp and you are in business.

I also checked for 9855,9965 and 9887 wich i read were also 3 way active capable and not harly any on ebay at least. These old active capable alpine h.u.'s are getting alot harder to find.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.