Crimping vs. Solder

if i had a torch, i would definitely use that to solder bigger wires, but other than that, i just crimp. just go with whatever you have, there shouldnt be a that big of a difference. if anything, i'd say solder is better.

solder equals a better connection over time and better connectivity in general.

Crimps are for those in a hurry and those who do not know how to solder.

Dont forget those who dont have small girlish hands that dont fit inside dashboards either //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

solder equals a better connection over time and better connectivity in general.Crimps are for those in a hurry and those who do not know how to solder.
Dont forget those who dont have small girlish hands that dont fit inside dashboards either //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Ooops... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif that would be me... LMAO!

A properly crimped connection works just as well as a soldered one. I'll always use solder if the connection might be exposed to moisture; ie, connections in doors or running under carpet. For most head unit wiring, there's no real advantage to soldering.

I think soldering is the way to go from the sandpoint that if done correctly there is no chance for the wire to come apart. Nothing worse than a two wires coming a part because of a bad crimp.

Paul

^x2

Soldering doesnt take that long if you have a decent iron and you keep it clean and free of oxidation on the tip. It offers a lower resistance connection, prevention of corrosion, and a more reliable connection over time.

I solder and heat shrink everything, the only type of crimp on connectors I will use are the sealed shrinkwrap covered style, and usually only on a power wire.

I don't have girlish hands.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Those are mine in the big three thread.

Solder is the only way for me.....not because of any sound differences because there is none but because crimp connectors,splicers etc all **** and eventually loose thier connection..... - I use the plastic junkie things when Im in a hurry and its not my ride

PLUS,Solder is neater and cleaner which shows a more professional install and that goes for

my car audio as well as my drag car

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Motovet

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Motovet
South Bend Wa.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date