Cranking the Volume fixes crackling/low volume channels?

Participant count
  • Participant list

goodkodiak

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello All,
I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 and I installed a Pioneer AVH-2300NEX and a Clarion XC2410 Amplifier to replace the OEM amplifier. The Volvo has four channels (FL, FR, RL, RR) and each has two 4ohm speakers run in parallel equaling 2ohm impedence. Since the head unit has 4ohm impedance I have run the 4 channel preamp outputs to the amplifier which has 2ohm impedance matching. So that's the setup.
The Problem:
Randomly a channel or two will go to a real low volume or I will hear a bit of crackling across the low output of the channel. If I observe this I will turn up the volume really loud. This allows the "bad" channels to come alive at a deafening volume and once I reduce the volume they will all play crisp and clear. Randomly they will go out again and I'll have to repeat the process to return crisp and equal volume from all four channels.

The two problem channels are mainly the FL and RR. Different shielded RCA cables run from the head unit to the amplifier. If I swap the RCA outputs at the head unit or the Amp (FL now FR, and RL now RR), the problem follows the speakers.
Once I crank volume to the "bad" channel and get it back to a decent volume, the speakers all sound great until they decide to go low volume or with some crackling on top again. Wiring all seems good.

Any one have experience with a problem like this? thank you!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.