Could my amp be eating my speakers, and eveything still sound fine???

Participant count
  • Participant list

mwe-maxxowner
10+ year member

I have a jl audio slash 300/4 amp. I have been very pleased with the amp the year or so it's been in my truck. I've had the front two channels running my focal access 130.1 component speakers, and the rear two channels bridged running my jl audio 8w1v2.

About a week ago I was on a short drive, and started smelling a nasty electrical burning smell. Hoped it was just something outside, got home, checked all wires and under my hood, didn't notice anything unordinary, amp seemed fine, so I figured it was nothing. Next day went for a drive, and realized my sub was barely making any noise, and it was mostly just static. Then it quit altogether.

I figured it was just my subs time to go, even though it was only a year, maybe 1 1/2 old at the most, and I'd somehow gotten a dud.

Recently took the time to wire my infinity kappa 6x8 coax's up to the two rear channels of my amp, that way I'm not wasting those two channels while I search for another sub. Played some music for a few mins, and realized I'm noticing a funny smell come from the rear door speakers now. DIdn't take the time to see if it was one or both, but I know the drivers rear was smelling, cause that's the one I was standing near when I realized it. In disgust I turned the power off and walked back inside to deal with it later.

Everything still sounds great, and the sub sounded perfectly fine, even while I smelled the burning smell while driving, until it just wouldn't do anything the next morning.

Is it somehow possibly that somethings gone awry with my amp, and one or both of the rear channels is causing the speaker the respective channel is hooked to to "burn up"? And still perform perfectly sound wise until they quit?

Note:while I was investigating the burnt up sub after first discovering it was doing nothing, I realized one of the speaker wires to my passenger side component speaker on one of the FRONT channels had come loose, so that it was still sort of stuck in the hole, but only making partial contact. Which was causing the low ohm light to come on. Could this have had ANYTHING to do with the REAR channels starting to eat speakers? Both front channels are still doing just fine, and, after fixing the wire that had come loose and tightening it down securely, the speaker on that channel is also fine.

Unless your gains are set properly it shouldn't be "eating" up your speakers. It sounds like it is either clipping badly, or putting out DC current instead of AC (which should trigger the amp to go into protect mode).

my jl 300/4 did the same thing ,and took out my boston pro series components,something went bad inside an set a dc current back to the speakers and pop.jl said 5 years ago it was 269.00 to fix it .so i said keep that pos and have never bought another jl anything since.i've since talked to a couple of repair shops and they told me that ,that wasn't uncommon for some of the older jl line amps.

Well crap. And the gains and everything are all set conservatively and matched pretty well to the speakers. This bites. Guess now I have a 2-channel amp lol.

I know very little about quality car audio and amps and such. Can y'all possibly point me to some quality amps with similar capabilities at a similar price to this amp? I bought it used for around 200 dollars.

Also, the amp doesn't appear to be going into any sort of protect mode, and there is no audible clipping. It just kept playing and playing, and the next day the sub was dead. And now I fear if I leave them hooked up the infinitys will soon be too. It's hard not to leave them hooked up to see what happens though, but I'd hate to burn up a set of 150 dollar speakers.

yea i hear ya mine were 400 back in the day

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

sp what kind of amp are you looking for

Well, I like the abilities of the jl I've been using. I think it's like 50 wx4, or 150 bridged? I like the adjustability that it has, and the fact that it gives me a nice clean sound. That's what I want, nice clean sound, even when I turn it up. I'd just like a similar 4, or six channel amp.

I'm glad the channels my focals are on aren't the ones that decided to get crazy. They were a bit more expensive

I've got an Elemental Designs NINe.4 amp that I use for my speakers. I also use their monoblock for my subs. Sounds terrific, built like a tank, and puts out great underrated power. I've never heard anybody have a bad thing to say about their amps.I got mine for $130 shipped used, and it's not uncommon to find others around that price.

I have a distro block in the mail, I was about to start shopping for a mono amp for my sub so I could amp all 4 door speakers...oh well, guess I'll still be amping the front two and a sub for now since I have to fund another 4-channel //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Problem is, I don't know enough about amps to know whats good and what's not. I try to find out what something is I'm looking at then just research the heck out of it on places like crutchfield, google, and here. When I bought my truck I wanted something better than the walmart crap I'd always run in the past, and the person I sought advice from was a big jl fan, hence my current amp. I've loved it until now >:O

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.